MTBF: 30,000 Hours
Connector: 3-Pin w/4-Pin Adapter

1x 120 mm FAN:
Color: White
Dimension: 120 X 120 X 25 mm
Bearing: Dual Ball Bearings
Rated Voltage: 12 V DC
Start Voltage: 5V DC
CurrentConsumption: 0.40Amp(MAX. 0.45Amp)
Power Consumption: 4.80W ( MAX. 5.40W)
Rated Speed: 3000 rpm
Max Airflow: 103.44CFM
Noise Level:
- 17 dBA at 1300rpm
- 44 dBA at 3000rpm
Life Expectancy: 50,000 Hours

Heatsink:
Model: VA4-C7040
CPU Socket: 370/7/A (462)
Rated Voltage: 12 V
Rated Current: 0.30 A
Power Consumption: 3.84 W
Bearing Type: TMD (Tip Magnetic Driving)
Fan Speed: 5600 RPM
Airflow: 35.5 CFM
Noise Level: 38 dB(A)
Outline Dimension: 74.5 x 74.5 x 60.0mm
Weight: 384 g
Life Time: 80,000 hrs

I am trying to overclock an AMD Athlon XP 2.4-2.0 ghz CPU, my friend is currently overclocking his to a 2.4 with 3x 80mm Fans, 1x 120 mm Fan and is having NO trouble. I am using a Soyo Dragon KT400 Motherboard as well, and i need to know what do you think is a safe speed to overlock...please respond if you are sure of a good answer, that iwll not fry it :p but get maximum output.
Thanxs in advance!

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
hmm...well your heatsink looks ok with a solid copper center and aluminum, and i believe you have the TMD fan. so overheating processor shouldn't be too big of a worry. but your chipset will definetly hold you back, the KT-400 is a Via chipset, and there not known for overclocking. i would suggest getting an active cooler for your Northbridge and you might be able to get 215-220fsb. i wouls say maybe 200mhz overclock with the soyo board, they are very good/stable boards, but once again not known for overclocking. i had a soyo Kt-333 dragon ultra platinum edition(huge name, BEAUTIFUL silver board) but couldnt get past a 150mhz overclock with it. they make stable mobos and are very detailed...but they just wond overclock like the uglier boards lol.

My friend as mentioned in my previous post, has the same system pretty much, less fans though.
Soyo KT400 board
AMd Athlon XP 2.4-2.0 Ghz running at 2.4 w/ normal cooling but less fans then me..... that doesnt indicate to me a bad clocking board, im hoping to hit at lesat 2.6, you think thats believable ?

4W4K3

VIP Member
2.6 will be almost impossible to hit with that setup...why?

1. You need a Mobile AMD chip to hit anywhere above 2.5 most of the time. that is unless you have phase change cooling, and a very flexible board.

2. the KT-400 chipset is old technology. it was not designed to overclock, it hasn't overclocked that well in the past (look it up on google...i cant find any 600mhz overclocks with stock cooling on a KT-400.)

what are your friends temps (at 2.4ghz) and stock cooling? if hes using a stock cooler at 2.4ghz he is burning that chip to death, and i wouldn't suggest you do the same.

We are not using stock cooling..
ive posted my fans, my heatsinks...that is most definitly not comman cooling, and thus the speeds achieved are possible.
You must recall, that of course newer boards are ubah leet, good @ overclocking. Your paying so much for these new boards, of course you should expect good overclocking capabilities. We selected the board we are using now, the Soyo, because despite being old, its flexible and inexpensive, and people seem to think now you cant get GOOD inexpensive comp equipment - so lets go out and spend a load of cash on something that is certain.
All the people i know whom have used it are very happy with it.
My friend, Greg, is using an older MSI board...and is running a 2100+ CPU, his board is OLDER then the Soyo KT 400...he normally runs at 1.4 ghz, but with an ACCURA cooler he is running well, and cold at 2.4 ghz.
I have seen the Soyo in action, and have seen the results i just wanted to know safe overclocking with someone who has overlocked stuff using a Soyo, to give me an answer given the provided info.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Amothial Winterfell said:
We are not using stock cooling..
ive posted my fans, my heatsinks...that is most definitly not comman cooling, and thus the speeds achieved are possible.
You must recall, that of course newer boards are ubah leet, good @ overclocking. Your paying so much for these new boards, of course you should expect good overclocking capabilities. We selected the board we are using now, the Soyo, because despite being old, its flexible and inexpensive, and people seem to think now you cant get GOOD inexpensive comp equipment - so lets go out and spend a load of cash on something that is certain.
All the people i know whom have used it are very happy with it.
My friend, Greg, is using an older MSI board...and is running a 2100+ CPU, his board is OLDER then the Soyo KT 400...he normally runs at 1.4 ghz, but with an ACCURA cooler he is running well, and cold at 2.4 ghz.
I have seen the Soyo in action, and have seen the results i just wanted to know safe overclocking with someone who has overlocked stuff using a Soyo, to give me an answer given the provided info.

a different brand HSF and a few extra fans doesnt mean good cooling. and the BEST overclockign boards right now are only about $80-$100...pretty cheap. so spending "loads" of cash isn't necessary. Soyo tends to be a lil' overpriced from my experience wit them. you're saying your friend got a 1000mhz overclock with a upgraded HSF and some case fans...that would be impossible on regular air cooling. all im saying is SOYO is not known for overclocking, and it will be almost impossible to get a 600mhz overclock without watercooling or better out of a 2400+ Tbred desktop chip.

I paid 69.45 Canadian ;) <Bargain Hunter thats me :p>
BTW...Soyo designed her MOBO's with the INTENT to overclock - i didnt buy her without doing some background knowledge, i just wanna know the same overclocking and what im being told contradcits the physical evidence i see in my bud's comp :S

4W4K3

VIP Member
I paid 69.45 Canadian ;) <Bargain Hunter thats me :p>
BTW...Soyo designed her MOBO's with the INTENT to overclock - i didnt buy her without doing some background knowledge, i just wanna know the same overclocking and what im being told contradcits the physical evidence i see in my bud's comp :S

soyo boards are made with the intent to run stable and not overheat...overclocking is just a small feature they include in the sales pitch. the simple fact that the KT-800 is already introduced makes the KT-400 obsolete, and it has never been known for high overclocks.tell me...what voltage is your friend using to overclock his 2400+ to 2.5ghz. and what kind of cooling does he have on his northbridge. what fsb and multi is he using? and lastly what kinds of temperatures is he getting. EVERY board is different...i see NF7-S (my board) hitting 240-250fsb al the time..and mine tops at 238fsb. i wouldn't set your standards to your friends achievements. soyo makes excellent boards...they are stable and have lots of options, but they are not a leading overclocking brand. you should really look at other forums where almost everyone hates soyo, read actual overclocker written reviews about your board...it does not score well with actual hardcore overclocks (which is what you want) a 200-300mhz overclock is feasable..but not 600mhz. your CPU wont even handle a 600mhz overclock without some SERIOUS water cooling or better. you'd have to run it at like 1.9-2.0V for that.

again my friend it always comes down to personal preferance, ive been to several forums and it seems people either love the Soyo or hate it. It totally depends on one's personal experiences with it, thank you for your input but i cant tell you what my friend is exactly running save i know i will have far better cooling then he and at 2.5 with his..i believe at 48 temp (not very good) i can at least hit 2.5-2.7 with 38-47 temp...but we shall see :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
again my friend it always comes down to personal preferance, ive been to several forums and it seems people either love the Soyo or hate it. It totally depends on one's personal experiences with it, thank you for your input but i cant tell you what my friend is exactly running save i know i will have far better cooling then he and at 2.5 with his..i believe at 48 temp (not very good) i can at least hit 2.5-2.7 with 38-47 temp...but we shall see :)

how exactly are you going to get a 600-700mhz overclock with a Desktop 2400+ Tbred B? that chip is 1.65V default, and even hotter overclocked. with simple air cooling @ 1.9-2.0V it will roast. anything below 50C is a pretty decent temp i believe, but that (like you said) is preference. i think you want to invest in some extreme cooling before you run that high a voltage.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMd Athlon XP 2.4-2.0 Ghz running at 2.4
What chip is this???

1. You need a Mobile AMD chip to hit anywhere above 2.5 most of the time. that is unless you have phase change cooling, and a very flexible board
Doable .... of course it kept rebooting when I ran PiFast :p

I paid 69.45 Canadian
You could have had the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe for $85CAD.

...Soyo designed her MOBO's with the INTENT to overclock
Ive heard this argument before..... except it was someting like 'ABit boards are engineered for overclocking"

how exactly are you going to get a 600-700mhz overclock with a Desktop 2400+ Tbred B?
Id like to know too :p