Need help picking laptop

jimt91

I've Been having a real hard time picking a laptop. Made a post a weekish ago looking for a cheaper tablet/laptop combo for a christmas gift and decided it's time for myself to get something too lol.

I'd really need it for school, but i would also use it for movies, video games, etc. My budget is about 2000 or less(If there is one much better for a little over i'd consider it still). I really like the portability and battery life of the 2-in-1 (laptop/tablets) but are they worth it? And are there even any with strong gaming specs? ATM it'll mainly be used for school/internet, but i love PC games and plan to play more in the future when i have more time, so it'd be nice for it to handle high end graphics and strong fps. I'd like good wifi connectivity, hdmi, ssd off the top of my head. I wanted to build a desktop, but i'm always running around and a nice portable laptop would be much more convenient at this point in my life.

Seems like every laptop has a decent amount of scary reviews so i'm just trying to make sure i don't drop $ on something bad. Thanks in advance

Laquer Head

2 in 1 is not for gaming.

High spec laptop usually have short battery life...

Yeah, pretty much what he said,

Gaming machine = shit battery life/tethered to wall

laptops, in general, have abysmal battery - the higher the specs, the poorer the battery life...

jimt91

Okay thanks, i've been researching a lot and came to that conclusion after hours of searching the internet hah. As for, brands which would you guys recommend(i hear hp is bad)? For a 2in1, or for a gaming(still undecided what i want to do) which do you think i should stick with if i end up buying one.

Laquer Head

I'd decide what you want to do and then we can get brand specific, so we aren't spinning around in circles.

_Pete_

First thing you need to do if you buy a laptop is to do a clean install of Windows 10 to get all the crap that all the manufacturers put on their laptops. Then get away from the idea of playing games on it, it wont, at least not any decent games.

Cisco001

May be spend under $500 for small laptop/ 2 in 1
Then small m-itx desktop? I just assume you live in student accommodation...

jimt91

Okay fair enough lol, i'll probably go with a 2-in-1 because i'll need something portable for typing and schoolwork. I actually have my own house, decided to go back to school. I just wanted a gaming laptop to make it easier to move around the house, instead of being stuck at the desktop. Would there be a 2in1 or something with decent battery life that could handle ESO or if not, old Rts's like AOE? I'd like to play newer games, but i could settle for now and get a desktop later.

Also it's not difficult to clean install windows 10 right?

jimt91

Any input on 2in1s? I see a lot about hp spectre and the lenovo yoga. But HP gets a lot of bad reviews, the ASUS or dell seem to get better.

jimt91

Hey guys sorry i didn't get back sooner, appreciate the advice! Might end up waiting a couple months now and sharing my gf's laptop in the mean time. Still plan to get one though down the road.