Need Help Picking Out Graphics Card

Vitaliy93

Ok, I'm planning on building my first system. Its mostly going to be for gaming, watching movies, video editing.....etc. Here is what i'm planning to get. I need help picking out the right graphics card. Also does anyone know what memory type is compatible with the motherboard i want to get, gddr2, gddr3....etc Oh yeah, and i'm planning on using vista 32-bit, or should i use 64-bit?

Click on the link for more info

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz (Overclocking it for sure!!)

Memory (RAM): G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 320GB

CD/DVD Burner/drive: ASUS CD-ROM

Case: Rosewill Conqueror RPS-01-WB500P (Still Not 100% Sure about the case)

Also could i get some opinions about the Asus CD-ROM and Rosewill Cases, anyone had any experiences with those products, are they good products, ok products, or I can find better???

Thanks in advance!!! Almost done finding parts, Soon i'll start buying!!!:D

Kewl Munky

That motherboard uses DDR2 up to 1333mhz. If you get 32bit Vista you will only get to use about 3.7GB of your 4GB of RAM. I'd suggest going with 64bit. If you plan on gaming, don't get a pentium. Might want to look at the Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad lines.

As for a graphics card, I don't know a card that would be good for gaming and video editing.

Vitaliy93

That motherboard uses DDR2 up to 1333mhz. If you get 32bit Vista you will only get to use about 3.7GB of your 4GB of RAM. I'd suggest going with 64bit. If you plan on gaming, don't get a pentium. Might want to look at the Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad lines.

As for a graphics card, I don't know a card that would be good for gaming and video editing.

Whats the difference with a pentium dual and core duo, they both have 2 processors and pretty much the same clock speed??????

Kewl Munky

The Core 2 Duo has a newer architecture and is faster clock for clock than a pentium dual core. The frequency isn't all you have to look at. Different architectures mean that the efficiency of the chips are different, and so the clock speeds won't be a direct comparison.

Vitaliy93

Ok i decided that i'm going to get Windows XP rather than Vista since most games are not yet compatable with Vista, and the games that i always play are XP based. So that brings me to this question, Do i buy XP-OEM version? If i buy OEM can I install it to more than 1 system or no? And since i'm getting XP, I cut the RAM to 2GB (2x 1GB). But i'm still looking for a graphics card.........:confused:

Kewl Munky

I haven't heard of games not being compatible with VIsta. The only bad thing is that DirectX 10 kills performance, and if you get the DirectX 10 thing for XP it won't kill performance like it does in Vista. If you get an OEM it will be one install unless it says otherwise. Might want to just wait until Windows 7 is released.

Gooberman

Lots of games are compatiable with vista just some that arn't pretty soon new games won't be compatiable with windows XP

Kewl Munky

Don't let large amounts of RAM fool you. That card is GDDR2, not GDDR3 so that card is much slower than one with GDDR3. You would be throwing away your money if you got that card.

Vitaliy93

Don't let large amounts of RAM fool you. That card is GDDR2, not GDDR3 so that card is much slower than one with GDDR3. You would be throwing away your money if you got that card.

Wow thanks for saving me from buying a bad card.:eek: I just read the video card 101 thread and i learned a lot. Probably should have read it before i even posted this thread...

Since it seems like your going for a budget build, for $20 more you can get a much.. much better video card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102822

Well budget gaming if you can put it that way. hahaha That looks pretty good. I'll see if i can find some more good cards since I gained a little bit more knowledge in video cards.

just a noob

4830/4850/gtx 260 would probably be the best for a budget gaming build(in that order) and stay with the e5200, its a good chip, if you can manage to get an e8400, then it would be perfect

newgunner

Yes you can. Limitations of the motherboard physical memory have nothing to do with video card dedicated memory. As long as you have the correct slot and enough power then it should work fine.

Kewl Munky

If you are really on a tight budget, you can do like what I did when I got my new motherboard and CPU. I googled the model numbers and found the lowest possible prices. Granted I bought from sites I'd never heard of, but I got my parts and was glad I saved money.

KR33P

For my new setup i am leaning for the 9800gtx+. it should be able to play most games and movies without a problem. also I see that the prices on moniters about 22 inches is coming down quick and that is a nice size so, you could go for that.