Need help playing comp games on tv

SAD_DC

Hey guys I have a quick question with connecting a computer to a tv via VGA cable and playing games on it.
So here's my problem, I set up the computer and everything is fine untill I startup a game, the screen goes black and the tv says unsupported video format.... Now I have tried changing the hertz in the options and it wouldn't let me also I have tried changing the resolution of the video card it wouldn't let me then I tried changing the computer resolution it wouldent let me do that either... So basically I can't change the resolution to get these games to work so if you guys have had the same problem please let me know how to make it work... Oh and also yes I dd download the latest direct x and nvidia drivers for my gtx 285..
Thanks alot..

Dropkickmurphys

First off you need to find out what resolution(s) the TV supports. TV's are a pain when it comes to resolution.

Once you know what resolutions it supports you can try the games / desktop at those resolutions.

When you say you have changed the resolution of the video card, do you mean in game or your desktop resolution? Most games also come with a safe mode that you should be able to use to change the resolution if you are having problems loading the game.

SAD_DC

See that's exactly the thing.. Neither the desktop or my video card let me change the resolutions. So even if I do findout the tv's resolution I won't be able to change it.
And about the safe mode how would I go about starting it in safe? I tried right clicking and properties did not see it..
Thanks

Dropkickmurphys

So you can't change your Windows desktop resolution? :S

I think I am a bit confused here.

You can't change your windows desktop resolution, but it displays (i.e. you can see something on the screen)? and when you try and play a game it just says "mode not supported"?

What game are you trying to play?

SAD_DC

No when I try to change the desktop resolution it basically turns off the tv saying unsupported video format or something like that.
And when I try to play Starcraft it does the same thing.... The game seems like it's starting up the screen flickers and gives me the same message.

Dropkickmurphys

Ok, so yeah, you need to find out what the max resolution your TV can handle and set your desktop resolution to that.

As for starcraft if you google it there may be a way of starting it in safe mode so you can go in and set the resolution to whatever it needs to be to work.

SAD_DC

Alright, well how can I find the max resolution of my tv?
And how can I go about changing it?