need help - providing internet access with wireless

DarkWan

Hello all

I want ask a few question. I want to open an Internet cafe whereas in that area, broadband Internet is not availabe. The premise is about 1 to 2km from my house, so I think I can broadcast signal from my house.

Before that, I have a little or none knowledge about wireless network. What I have to do? Did an antenna functions as transmitter and receiver at the same time?

The situation is like this. My house functions as a 'base' to transmit the signal, and at that soon-to-be my Internet cafe can receive the signal. Did I have to install both same antenna to my house and Internet cafe ?

I have a litte budget (what can u expect from a freshie graduate .. hihihi) .. I am not pretty handy in DIY .. so what is the perfect solution to my problem?

Thank u in advance for replying.

computerdude2004

You antenna will send a signal and recieve signals, but I don't know how you are going to get the signal to travel a kilometer or two. Most wireless signals travel from 50 to 300 feet. As it is, most of the time you end up with about 40 percent of the speed of the wireless device. You will need one strong signal going from a powerful antenna.

DarkWan

i have find some interesting information from here;

http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/longrangelink.html

the suitable choice for me .. for sure is the cheapest one. D-Link DWL-900AP+ ;)

but i was wondering ... an access point can cover about 2km. how about the signal loss? it is omnidirectional rite? did i have to use the same AP for transmit and receive the signal?

thanks again for your feedback. i appreciate any replies :)

computerdude2004

That is a good article. No matter what, you are going to have signal loss. It is part of the wireless way of networking.

Last edited: