need help setting up wireless network

uraknai

I have been thinking about setting up a wireless network between my 2 desktop pc's to share broadband, printers and play games but don't know where to start.

I have a US Robotics USB ADSL Modem and both pc's have windows XP home. From what I have read I need an access point and 2 wireless adaptors (one for each pc). I don't want to open up the pc so would need USB wireless adaptors.

The main problem that I am having in choosing the correct hardware. The probelm is that the modem is USB and on all the access points that I have looked at the modem connects to the access point with an ethernet cable. Is there a way to keep the modem connected to the pc via USB and connect the access point to either USB or ethernet and still share the broadband connection.

Thanks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
he probelm is that the modem is USB and on all the access points that I have looked at the modem connects to the access point with an ethernet cable.
Thats correct because a WAP is essentiall the wireless equivalent of a wired-swtich. What you'll be looking for (if you dont have a wired router that is), is a Wireless Router. (if you have a wired router, pop the WAP into the router and you're good to go). These kinds of products are what you'll be looking for:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&WLBS=fsweb19&catid=19994