Need help setting VPN server and client

ekjl

I wrote this a couple of days ago then the forum went offline and my new user account as well as the thread I wrote was gone. Kind of annoying.

But anyways, I've been trying to set up a VPN the past week and had no luck since. I've read many articles and how to's on the net but none could help me, maybe because they're all the same and doesn't go into details like I want it. I need some expert help to guide me step by step and provide details. There are some confusions that I don't quite understand. You could help me on this message board so other can see the help, or through email/instant messenger.

First, I am using my desktop as the VPN server and primarily using my laptop as the VPN client. Both of these machines have Zone Alarm 5.5. The desktop is connected to a Linksys router BEFW11S4 which is also connected to my cable modem. I've been searching the net, and it doesn't seem too many people have this router or something; it is really old as well. I've upgraded the firmware to the latest one already.

I already set up an account for www.no-ip.com and setup a host/redirection but I don't know if it's done correctly. I don't quite understand it as well. In the IP, do I just insert any number? I just left it at the default. I tried to enter my IP address I use at home, but it came up with an error. And how does it know to redirect it to my VPN server if I enter it in my VPN client?

For the router setup. I've looked all over the net and I tried to get as much help as what I found because my router interface is much different than other people. I'll try and tell you my setup. I went into my router and went into 'Advance' then 'Forwarding'. Inside the forwarding tab, there are 5 columns, they are from left to right: the application name, the port range ( # to #), Protocols (TCP and UDP), IP address, and enable. What I did was put in VPN, 1723 to 1723, placed a check in both TCP and UDP, put in 192.168.1.3 as the IP address (I don't know if that is correct, I saw two sites that entered that IP as the address so I copied them. I don't know what I should put in here), and placed a check in enable. In the other tabs in the router setup PPTP passthrough is enabled. Block WAN request in enabled, should I disable it?

In ZoneAlarm, I went into custom internet zone serurity in the firewall tab. In there, there are two tabs, internet zone and trusted zone. I went into internet zone and I put port 1723 in incoming and outgoing UDP. I did the exact same for incoming and outgoing TCP. Should I put this in trusted zone as well?

And I think the final question I have is regard the VPN server setup. In the User permission dialog window, do I enter the username I have as my Windows username on my laptop? Or is this used for username/password purposes for when the client is trying to reach the server? So I can just enter any random username and put any random password?

Sorry for this long winded post. I really need help. Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When u register with some DNS thing youll need to use the real i.e., external IP address :) (starts with 68)

ekjl

Oh ok. I'm learning something new. So I just enter that into the IP field in DNS site? Also there are options to select. Which one do I choose:
-DNS Host (A)
-DNS Host (Round Robin)
-DNS Alias (CNAME)
-Port 80 Redirect
-Web Redirect

Should I allow wildcards?

Last edited: