Need Help to spec computer

FlipHKD

I want to build a computer but am not up to date on PC stuff and have no clue what to buy.

My main intent is to do the following:
surf the internet, download music/movies, watch some movies, burn CDs and DVDs.

I have a good graphics card with an AGP slot, and I also have monitor, keyboard and a mouse. I have a 20 gig hard drive which I never seem to fill up since I transfer all my files to CDs, etc but I'm not sure if this would be compatible with new mobo, etc.

I'd like to spend as little as possible, perhaps $300-$400 range but still have a good computer. I will never do any gaming on this PC. I am somewhat flexible on the price, but given what I use a PC for I'd like to keep it as close to $300 as possible. This would include a new burner for CDs and DVDs as well, as my current set up is on 4x, LOL.

My current PC is old, it is a P3 500mhz piece of junk, so anything has got to be better than this.

Can you guys help me choose components to meet my needs?

Charlie7940

eh I wouldn't buy that case....for $28 with a PSU I don't see how that can be any good. I understand you don't want to spend that much money, but you will probably want a better PSU. (Read more at PSU 101)

As for RAM, I would reccommend CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB. That's what I use and I'm satisfied with it. It's relatively cheap too.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member