Need help, traveling with computer

dougland

I am going to college and am bringing my new computer. It's a desktop, external hdd, and a 19'' LG lcd. I am wondering if there are any precautions i should take when transporting them, aand how should i be putting the comptuer in the car. Should it sit upright? on the side? i just want to make sure it's as safe as it can be. Please let me konw. Thanks

ScOuT

VIP Member
It will not hurt a computer to lay on its side....as long as it's not liquid cooled :)

As for precautions, just make sure it is nice and snug some where and can not shift around when taking corners and such. Maybe use some blankets or some pillows to absorb some of the road bumps :)

dougland

Thanks. I had thought of blankets/pillows and think i'll do that. The trip is a 4 hour car ride, it shouldn't hurt my computer shoudl it?

Gareth

Not at all, Ive had a computer fly from the UK to the USA, then on a truck from Illinois to North Carolina, and all of my computers will be doing the same again in 2 weeks, providing you give it adaquite protection, it will be perfectly fine. I usually get a plastic box, and put the computer in, then fill the rest up with packaging peanuts, if I remember correctly, a box of 5000 of them is $17.99 at Office depot.

jdbennet

yeah put it on the bakseat on its side and use the seatbelt to secure it - just make sure it cant fly out of you crash.

may wanna pad it with a pillow or something to stop vibrations to the hdd

generally its fine. tip: dont leave any cds in the drives