Need Help Upgrading Ram!

Technoman

Hello Forum, I haven't posted on here for ages but I am in need of help right now. I currently have an Hp Pavillion G7. I need to figure out how to upgrade my ram. I am looking to upgrade from 4 gigs to 8 and I am confused about this whole thing. From what I see on the internet I see multiple sticks of ram. I know that older desktops that I have encountered need multiple sticks of ram. Never have I heard of multiple sticks for a new laptop. Right now I am asking how I would upgrade it and what I need! If anyone help that would be great because I have never really adjusted anything in my computer so this would be a first for me!

Shlouski

VIP Member
What do you do on the laptop?, i cant think of many situations you will notice an improvement upgrading to 8Gb, 4 sounds plenty for that laptop, unless its a hardcore gaming laptop. There are many different models, can you tell me the serial number?

Technoman

Well I make videos with others so during that span I have my game open (Although its Minecraft it hogs ram) I have a screen recorder and skype, not to mention the server I have to run in the background well this is the info I was able to come up with is that it is a Hp Pavillion g7 Notebook with i3 and yeah 4 gigs.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Doing all that at once i would also be worried about only having an i3 aswell as only 4Gb. It maybe be an expensive option, but a second pc would make life much easier (this is what i do, it avoids running into lots of little niggles, believe me) as you could split the load between them, one doing the gaming and the other doing the rest. If you got any old desktop computer bits lying about, you could save a little money or if you give me the model number i can look at the ram situation. e.g I have a server with no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, just power and lan cable, if I need do anything on it I use remote desktop, otherwise let it do its thing. Also trying to talk, message or edit video while ingame, means not using your mouse or keyboard, which is hard :), you would not minimise the game.

Last edited:

Technoman

The issue is the other computers dont have that great of capability either. they arre very old and I don't really want to spend more money on an up-to-date machine just for certain applications so I think it would be of my best interest to update necessary things. Now I am not positive of the processor I know I need more ram!

Shlouski

VIP Member
If this server is just for file sharing, then you can use any old crap really and skype ain't the most demand thing out there. A pentium 4 with a gig of ram and then HDD's depending on how much space you need and a gigabit lan card if you are using a gigabit router or switch to max your transfer speeds, will do. Mine ain't much better than that and i get upto 110mb/sec transfer speeds thought my network, 10mb more than gigabit is rated for :)

Last edited:

Technoman

Oh I see I could run the server in a different area but that wouldn't really help because I'd still have to have thee recorder on my screen and skype going so it records sound. My other question is if I upgraded my ram would I need another processor too?