Need help upgrading RAM

Dovahkiin

hey im new to the whole making your own computer and upgrading it and im having trouble deciding what ram is best for my motherboard if my motherboard can support the RAM im looking for at all.

My motherboard is Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 (Socket M2)

My RAM i have currently is 2x4GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28) and its

The RAM im looking at at the minute is Corsair 16GB Vengeance LP DDR3 1866MHz CL10 1.5v DIMM 240-pin Memory http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair...cl10-1-5v-dimm-240-pin-memory-BL1Q.html?src=3

Here is the other RAM i am looking at Corsair 16gb ( 2 x 8GB) Vengeance Pro Red DDR3 1866MHz CL9
http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair...ance-pro-red-ddr3-1866mhz-cl9-8QJ7.html?src=3

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

beers

Staff member
Are you doing a direct replacement or? What are you hoping to gain?

Personally for a quantity-specific upgrade I'd just get another kit to augment what's already in there, although that latency is super high for DDR3-1600. Replacing what you already have with faster sticks won't give you enough gain to offset the cost of going through two sets of RAM.

(Socket M2)

You mean AM3+? ;)

Dovahkiin

I have looked for the same type of RAM i have in my computer at the moment but i cant seem to find it, and i was hoping to do a direct replacement. The reason why im replacing the ram is im hoping to upgrade my computer to be able to play better games at a better frame rate and some point but not just upgrade them RAM graphics card etc. for your quote i use a program speccy to show me what i have in my computer and i copyed straight from the list and it does say (Socket M2) sorry if im being a noob im new to all this

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, your motherboard is a socket AM3+ Speccy just lists it different for some reason as would cpuz I believe.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov

If you open speccy, then go to ram, and go down to spd. It should tell you what model of memory you have now and hopefully we can match it up. Games will be more dependent on video card then system memory. Looks like you are currently running 8gb of 1600mhz ram which should be sufficient.

Dovahkiin

Type DDR3
Size 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer G.Skill
Max Bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
Part Number F3-14900CL9-4GBZL
SPD Ext. XMP

just copied the whole thing in case haha

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I see a problem here. You say your timings are 11 11 11 28 but the ram you posted is 9 9 9 24. Check your bios to make sure your timings are set properly.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
From what I can tell, any memory from G Skill with F3-14900 is DDR3 1866

My bad, you are correct. I entered the part number and clicked on the wrong link.

Just went and looked at the motherboard again and realized it only supports up to 1600mhz.

I would probably just some gskill 1600mhz ram and replace existing.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Don't know, he could just get 2 more sticks of the same for 16gb. Being 1866 and running at 1600 he could probably bump the timing way down to 9/9/9. But then some people don't like running 4 sticks.

beers

Staff member
What specific CPU do you have? Some of the Phenom II's had issues over 1600.

Dovahkiin

I know its not a Phenom 2. I bought my PC of AMD 2 years ago of Amazon but I'm positive its not a Phenom 2. Sorry I'm not sure what my CPU is and I can't check.