Need Help Upgrading

Hey guys, as you all know, it's black friday and the newegg deals are rolling out. I was looking at upgrading my computer as i seem to be not getting the performance that i should be. I need help deciding which is the best option to go with right now. Before i throw anything out, here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
ASUS r7 260x 2gb
8gb 1333mhz G.Skill RAM
1TB 7200 Seagate HDD
MSI 870A-G54 MOBO
600AF Raidmax 600w PSU

Now my main concern is that I'm not getting the performance that i would expect. In BF4 I play at about medium settings at 1080p at about 45-60 fps average, and in COD:AW i can barely play at low settings and get about 30-50 fps average. Everywhere I've seen much better performance on the R7 260x so that leads me to believe it's the processor at fault here, but stil either way im not too sure. I was thinking about getting the fx-8320 and a new mobo, but then i saw the refurbished 7970 3GB for only $160 and thought that that would be the better buy at the moment. I'm not too surte what to do here, can anyone enlighten me as to why my performance may not be up to par? thanks in advance guys :)

EDIT: Also i was wondering if it would be a better idea to get a refurbished 7970 3GB or just a 2GB R9 270x

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

Overtime, that processor will hold you back, better to go Intel for performance.

A graphics card upgrade is also needed though, that sounds like a good deal

Darren

Staff member
A new graphics card would make more of a difference than a processor upgrade, but if you can afford it I'd do both. A 7970 is a lot better than a 270X. If it's got a warranty on it I'd get the 7970. It's the same chip as a R9 280X, so it's sorta kinda still "new".

I decided to go with the R9 280 because it's a new card and is basically a re-branded 7850 and that's good enough for me. Now my question is, which is better, the R9 285 or the R9 280?