Need Help with Monitor - URGENT!!!!

dixieman

Ok, I moved back to school today for classes. I was just using my computer at home last night, no problem. I got it hooked up here at school, and I can't get any picture on the monitor. The best I can do is to get a black semi-blinking screen, like it is getting part of the signal.

I've already tried two different cables.

How do I determine if it's the monitor or some act of God on my video card since last night??

I need to get this done fast, so any quick advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Maybe your video card got loose during transportation. Check if its seated properly in its slot.

dixieman

Won't move. Seems like it's in there pretty solid.

Should I try to hook my monitor to my girlfriend's computer (the one I'm using) and see if it's the monitor??

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Good idea. Also hook up her monitor to your computer to see if your video card is ok.

dixieman

Alright, I hooked it up to my gf's comp, and the monitor works fine.

So, I need to pop the case on my comp and check the video card??

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
What's the computer's behaviour? Does it boot up (beep, leds, hdd spinning, etc.)?

dixieman

Lorand said:
What's the computer's behaviour? Does it boot up (beep, leds, hdd spinning, etc.)?

Yep. Everything sounds and looks (LED's) normal when I turn the comp on. I just get no picture. Just a black screen with some occasional blinking.

dixieman

Ok, I took out the video card, put it back in, and still nothing.

Time to get a new video card and try that??

If so, this is a 4 year old Dell. Should I buy an AGP 4x?? I can't remember what it was and I can't check the system stats without a monitor.

dixieman

Quick question:

If I put a new video card in there, how do I install the software for the new card if I can't get the monitor to come up??

dixieman

Nevermind. I thought about that question. If the new graphic card fixes the problem, the monitor will show up.

And, it did work.

Thanks to those that helped me..

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The computer will boot with the new video card in VGA mode. After that you can install the video driver to adjust the resolution.

KillermilleR

use ur g/f video card on ur mb if it works then its ur video card. If it dosen't then its ur mb, or the agp bus.!! good luck