Need help with temporary profile

JasonJohnston09

Alright, This is a work related issue and would love some great feedback by Monday. I am a tech at a large healthcare organization. With windows xp support ending next year I am in charge of making the change over to Windows 7 at one of the many facilities in the enterprise. I have used a migration tool to transfer user data through the SCCM server for well over a year now. Everything has went fine. Issues here and there with the SCCM client being broken, or this that and the other.

Earlier in the week, I was doing a backup of a user's desktop, everything went fine. I went to do the restore on her new windows 7 machine and the migration tool would not access the data on the SCCM server. I then went to the the location where the data is stored on the server and tried a windows easy transfer of the different profiles and shared data. That went fine as well, except for that I had to choose to create a new profile on the windows 7 machine through the easy transfer for her profile to transfer. I created the exact same login and network password as she currently uses. It looked like everything transferred just fine....but, whenever she logs into the windows 7 machine it will only log her in on a temporary profile.

I then deleted her profile under accounts, had her log into the machine once again so that the profile would be created, and then through the easy transfer the profile would already be built...still every time she logs in it creates a temporary account. I have never seen this issue before.

Should I check the registry for some type of duplication? Ideas?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Windows only creates temporary accounts when it is unable to log the user into their profile. I'd assume that something went wrong during the transfer and the system can't access her profile.

Can you make another backup? I'd try that and then transferring.