Need Help With This Server Board?

CrazyMike

Hey guys,

I just got a server board from a buddy, not sure if i can use it. I am having a hard time figuring out the specs on it. I tried calling DELL but keep getting the run around.

This is what i know about the board:

Came from the DELL PowerEdge 1800 Server, dual processor, can hold up to 12GB of RAM.

Numbers I pulled off it are:

PBA C58453-904
CN-098611-71703-61J-0952 <--- DELL's part number for the board.

Has 3 PCIx64

Like i said, don't know much about the board. If you need any more info from the board, just let me know. Hopefully you guys can help.

I just want to find out what is compatible and what i can do with it.

Thanks,

Vampiric Rouge

EDIT: Do you know where a guy could get knowledge of how to build a server? Basically i just want to learn what is needed, and what would be over powered. Software i heard windows server is pretty good.

Just like desktop or laptop it all depends on what you want to do with it. As far as building it goes it's not much different then building a desktop.

If you want an Idea of what it should run as far as hardware see if you can find what server model dell used to run it on and what the specs are on that server.

CrazyMike

Just like desktop or laptop it all depends on what you want to do with it. As far as building it goes it's not much different then building a desktop.

If you want an Idea of what it should run as far as hardware see if you can find what server model dell used to run it on and what the specs are on that server.

I wouldn't mind a server to save crap on. Such as one filled with hard drives with high speed data transfer. Mainly for video.

I tried that, seems as if i would have to spend a fair amound by using this board.

Vampiric Rouge

Server hardware often costs a pretty penny, that whole reliability/redundant thing. Either way if you're looking to hosts storage for videos then you don't really need super high end specs, just a bunch of hard drives and maybe a raid controller.

As for Operating systems I would look into openFiler or FreeNAS. They are *nix distros built for network storage. I think you could probably just run XP with a SMB share also, however that would have more overhead.

CrazyMike

Server hardware often costs a pretty penny, that whole reliability/redundant thing. Either way if you're looking to hosts storage for videos then you don't really need super high end specs, just a bunch of hard drives and maybe a raid controller.

As for Operating systems I would look into openFiler or FreeNAS. They are *nix distros built for network storage. I think you could probably just run XP with a SMB share also, however that would have more overhead.

I will have to look up that software and OS. Why couldn't i just use Microsoft Server (think i seen it for $100)? All i want to do is save the file as a compressed format (non compressed if HDD prices drop).

I was thinking i would try and use this board to build one, try and make things cheaper. But as it turns out, it's more expensive. What would be things to look for in a server to up the transfer rate? You mentioned RAID, not exactly sure how that works so i will have to look that up. A major thing would be i wouldn't really need a video card correct? Seeing as most motherboards come with intrigrated video on them. Is a fast processor (ie 2500k) and fast ram (ie RipJaws) the main feature i should look at? or what role does the MOBO play in it all?