Need help with upgrading to a newer Video Card

WynOSmokeZ

OK, I have a HP a1230n with an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ with 2.39 GHz and 960MB of RAM. It came with an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 built in chipset.

Basically I want something better than what I got for an alright price ($150-$200). I'm willing to upgrade but am not sure exactly which specifics to look for that will tell me if I'm getting something better. So I guess thats what I need to know, What can i compare on the two cards to tell me which one is better? Will buying any graphics card at the store basically be better than what came with this computer?

My reason for upgrading is because I want to be able to play Counter-Strike : Source with my model details set on high and my resolution to be at least 1280x1024 while playing the game smoothly. I currently can set these options to that setting, but it plays choppy, I've tweaked my options and everything. It plays decent on a resolution of 800x600 and with all my model details set to low, but it just doesnt have the best graphics and detail it can have.

lovely?

unfortunately i have seen no motherboards that come from HP that can be upgraded to a good video card. most only have pci slots, which are not good at all, though its still far better then onboard video.

your best bet would be to make a computer yourself, but other then that i would buy something like an Nvidia 6200le PCI (not pci-e) and pop that thing in. shouldnt cost more then 40$

ellanky

Shouldnt the motherboard come with a video slot? Its not like HP makes their own motheboards..

reddevil6

yes the mother board is a ASUS A8AE-LE an it has 1 PCI - E.
i don't think he should get a 8800GT DAISYMTC because his CPU will hold it back.
i think you should get a 8800GS