Need info on Laptops.

My desktop is going to fail one of these days and would like to replace it with a laptop to eliminate all the wires. Want to keep it simple. My question is about my printer,router and modem. Can all of these run wireless with a new laptop? Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've found out that the wireless card used determines the quality of speed and any issues you may have. Some issues with the AC wireless adapters.

strollin

Does your router support wifi or is it strictly a wired router? If you don't know the answer to that question then post the make and model of your router and someone should be able to tell you.

What is the make and model of your printer? Some support wifi while others don't. If the printer doesn't include wireless support, it can still be done with the addition of a wireless print server which would cost $35-50 or so.

I personally use my laptops (and tablets) wirelessly with my printer, router and modem so it certainly can be done.

beers

Staff member
Depends on the equipment you have. Example, you can have a wired ethernet printer that's usable by laptops on wifi since they're on the same network.

Printer is a Kodak ESP 3250. Several years old. No problem replacing it with a new one. Router is new and it's a Netgear 1200AC. Would I need to plug the cable modem into the laptop along with the router? Would have no problem doing this also. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Cable from modem into router. As long as the router is setup, then you don't need a cable from router to laptop. Use wireless.