Need information on Linux

johnnyb58

I’ve accumulated a couple of extra computers and I only use one of them to operate digital controls. I currently have Vista installed with Java to operate the controls and I also have Firefox for uploading and checking for updates and information.

Anyway I just noticed that the program that I use also has a Linux version and I’m thinking about getting rid of Vista plus I don’t want to fool with the antivirus programs any more.

So my question is will I have any concerns on installing Linux and do I need a particular version to install on my old 32bit computer. I think the computer hardware is capable of running 64 bit, but I need to verify that.

pane-free

OP said: " . . . will I have any concerns on installing Linux and do I need a particular version to install on my old 32bit computer. I think the computer hardware is capable of running 64 bit, but I need to verify that."

Issue #1 is your hardware -- cpu and RAM, primarily; graphics secondarily.

Issue #2 is usage. "Digital controls" is pretty general. Will wireless telemetry be used, for example?

Issue #3 is user's familiarity with GNU/Linux.

#3 can conflict with the optimal distro to address Issue #1 (for instance, a Debian distro that comes to mind for older computers may require configuration for usage with wireless, should your answer to question posed in Issue #2 be, "Yes.") and shoiuld your familiarity be zero. It would help if some familiarity with partitioning a hard drive were present, too.

Beware of answers like, "Just install lubuntu," or, "this distro should work for you." Many Linux users nowadays make assumptions without the experience to back their suggestions up adequately. While not as experienced as some others may be, I have used distros on PIII's and P4's and other single-core sub-GHz processors with 512MB RAM and may have a few suggestions, but it would be premature of me to make any without knowing the A-B-C's of your original question.

Perhaps this is why no answers to it have been forthcoming . . .

More info, please!

Last edited:

johnnyb58

#1 Well I’m not real sure which computer I’m going to use yet, but if it really matters then I suppose I’ll have to pick one. The Vista computer that I’m using now is a little too large for the space, but it could handle most anything I’m sure. I’ll have to wait until later to get the CPU and Memory Info.

I would love to use a really old laptop that I have with Win 3.1 or possibly XP I think, but it does not have a USB port although the software does support a Serial adapter. Either way it needs to have internet capabilities to load the software.

The interface program uses graphics for monitoring locations with images to show on/off states of switches, but I would not put it up against video gaming or anything like that. If it could show a YouTube video then that would be good enough. The only other thing I’d be running is an internet browser.

#2 All the actual operations is done outside the computer from an interface board and the computer only runs the software to communicate with an interface board via USB cable or Serial adapter. The Linux version has multiple download selections depending on the versions of Linux like Xubuntu (on a decTOP small computer), Open SUSE, and Mint. None of which I am familiar with.

#3 I absolutely do not know anything about Linux and when I look for downloads, I see stuff like Ubuntu, Mint, SUSE and about a half a dozen others which has me so confused that I quit.

pane-free

As far as hardware goes, generally --

CPU: Pentium III or Athlon is the minimum for practicality reasons (Pentium M does NOT meet this minimal standard);
RAM: at least 512MB, and this minimum of RAM should be installed before beginning (check motherboard specifications);

GPU: nVidia and ATI Catalyst cards can be more difficult to set up; if mobo's onboard graphics are used, no problem normally.

You mentioned "software to communicate with an interface board" -- is this software proprietary? If so, will it run on any other OS besides Windows?

We really need ot know the information above before saying whether or not a Linux distro will work for you.

johnnyb58

I’ve decided to use an HP Pavilion Media Center m8400f. It has some problems with VISTA anyway so replacing the OS will probably be a good thing. I’m not sure what processor it has. But it has a AM2+ Socket type and Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE. I also think it has 3GB of DDR2 memory that came with it.
I have no idea what “software proprietary” means, but you chose a software download between Xubuntu Open SUSE, or Mint.

pane-free

The HP m8400f sounds like a decent older machine -- is this it?

The AM2+ Phenom X4 9500 is likewise up to the tasks at hand, it would appear.

I would suggest upping the RAM to the max of 8 GB or at least 4 GB, quad-channel. Then, you could run just about any GNU/Linux distro you want -- 64-bit or 32-bit, respectively, IMHO.

The proprietary nVidia linux driver for the GeForce 6150SE can be found in the link provided, for 64-bit. I'd put it on a USB stick by itself and save it for the install of whichever distribution you choose.

Debian and Ubuntu (look at LinxMint, as well) have the largest repositories of software currently available, I believe.

My personal suggestions? I like Debian, of which a good one for newbies is HandyLinux. Another solid Debian distro that is very good out-of-the-box is SolydX. Good Ubuntu-based distros are LinuxLite (especially if gaming on Linux may be a priotity) or LXLE. If going with any of the 'buntus, per se, stick with the LTS versions of xubuntu or lubuntu, as another recommendation. These may be perused at the site http://distrowatch.com/.

Best wishes with GNU/Linux and Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

johnnyb58

Thanks so much for your help pane-free,
and yes that is the computer that I want to use, but I just remembered that the original video card died and I replaced it with an older card that I had laying around. I have to connect it up and turn it on to see if it’s still a GeForce.

OK I just looked up an old thread that I posted the card in and it is a MSI card with NVIDIA GeForce 6600 #8983-010 TV DVI VGA Video

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
If you go with something like Ubuntu once you have completed the install click on the Ubuntu symbol and type in "drivers". The application will look for drivers and then you just need to install the proprietary drivers from Nvidia through that application.

If you don't use the Unity desktop from Ubuntu then I believe the drivers tool can be found in "system settings" on the other ubuntu Flavors.

silv55

#1 Well I’m not real sure which computer I’m going to use yet, but if it really matters then I suppose I’ll have to pick one. The Vista computer that I’m using now is a little too large for the space, but it could handle most anything I’m sure. I’ll have to wait until later to get the CPU and Memory Info.

I would love to use a really old laptop that I have with Win 3.1 or possibly XP I think, but it does not have a USB port although the software does support a Serial adapter. Either way it needs to have internet capabilities to load the software.

The interface program uses graphics for monitoring locations with images to show on/off states of switches, but I would not put it up against video gaming or anything like that. If it could show a YouTube video then that would be good enough. The only other thing I’d be running is an internet browser.

#2 All the actual operations is done outside the computer from an interface board and the computer only runs the software to communicate with an interface board via USB cable or Serial adapter. The Linux version has multiple download selections depending on the versions of Linux like Xubuntu (on a decTOP small computer), Open SUSE, and Mint. None of which I am familiar with.

#3 I absolutely do not know anything about Linux and when I look for downloads, I see stuff like Ubuntu, Mint, SUSE and about a half a dozen others which has me so confused that I quit.

I've just tried just for the hack of it since some people say good things of Mint Products,i installed Mint 17.1 with XFCE Rabeca on a Pemtium 4 and it works Ok,it's almost like Xubuntu 14.04, the only differences that i find relevant is it comes with Ubuntu restricted_extras installed and screensaver,and a few things that you can easy install in Xubunru 14.04,
one thing that i noticed is that when you finish install from the Cd, it sais you have to reboot but it lets you hang in there, i had to press power and reboot, also i have this notice every time i boot it's annoying,see pic attach.
with Ubuntu based distros i don't have nothing of the sort.

besides that is similar in speed and config. wise.

Last edited:

johnnyb58

Oh wow that would be annoying and it would also cause me to worry about other things that may not work properly. Thanks for the info.:good:

I haven’t done anything yet because I discovered a lot of missing files when I mass copied over to the new computer and it’s going to take some time to find them all on the old computer. I had already started organizing and renaming files on the new computer, plus I had already deleted the duplicates before discovering I was missing files.:(

silv55

Oh wow that would be annoying and it would also cause me to worry about other things that may not work properly. Thanks for the info.:good:

I haven’t done anything yet because I discovered a lot of missing files when I mass copied over to the new computer and it’s going to take some time to find them all on the old computer. I had already started organizing and renaming files on the new computer, plus I had already deleted the duplicates before discovering I was missing files.:(

Well i will figure it out, it's no biggy besides that it runs good,

in the other hand i installed Mint 17.1 Rebeca on my old sony vaio 1.5ghz 1gb mem with NON PAE CPU and it installed great and runs great too, with dual boot with Win XP, i had Xubuntu 12.04 previous installed which ends support in April, i tried to install Xubuntu 14.04 with the force Pae but it did not install at all,so this way i will have support for this low end hardware machine till April 2019 which is great, because there not out there many distros this days that have No PAE CPU.

Last edited:

silv55

I've just tried just for the hack of it since some people say good things of Mint Products,i installed Mint 17.1 with XFCE Rabeca on a Pemtium 4 and it works Ok,it's almost like Xubuntu 14.04, the only differences that i find relevant is it comes with Ubuntu restricted_extras installed and screensaver,and a few things that you can easy install in Xubunru 14.04,
one thing that i noticed is that when you finish install from the Cd, it sais you have to reboot but it lets you hang in there, i had to press power and reboot, also i have this notice every time i boot it's annoying,see pic attach.
with Ubuntu based distros i don't have nothing of the sort.

besides that is similar in speed and config. wise.

Hi guys update on Mint17.1 Rebeca XFCE,i re-installed it and all good