need laptop help quick ....

chesplaz

while I still have time to return it.

I recently came into possession of a Lenovo Thinkpad T410, made in 2010 I think, with no operating software on it. I decided to use an older version of Windows on it in order to use some software that could no longer work on Windows XP/7/8/etc.

I tried to install my copy (from late 1990s) of Win 98SE on it. The thinkpad went out to the cdrom drive to boot, found Win98, asked if I wanted to boot from the cdrom disc, I selected yes. All of which I remember from having it on a desktop a decade & half ago.

However, it then claims it doesn't find drivers for the cdrom. The actual screen message is:Device Drive not found: "OEMCD001"

No valid CDROM device drivers selected

The Windows 98 Setup files were not found.

A:\>

My sense is that the cd rom was working because the BIOS went out to that memory location for the cd rom, found something in it (install CD) and then must have received some information from the CD because it said Win 98.

My understanding is that drivers are like translators/interpreters. They make sure the info from uProcessor and its bus can be accepted into a given device. Or vice versa.

Given that, am I correct in assuming that the cd rom drive probably doesn't work for an older OS like Win 98? And it's because no drivers were written for that version of Windows, so Win98 doesn't recognize the cd rom drive?

beers

Staff member
What particular software are you trying to use?

I'd just run Win98SE in a virtual machine so you don't have to deal with hardware dependencies.

spirit

Staff member
Even if you got Windows 98 SE installed on your T410 there's no drivers for it so the laptop would be practically useless. I don't know why you'd want to put 98 SE on a T410. Your machine is more than powerful enough to run it in VirtualBox, install VirtualBox on your laptop and run 98 in that instead.

98 also won't boot with more than 1GB of RAM so even if you did get the installation to start you wouldn't be able to use the OS at all.