Need new PC

dpok

New Member
This may not be the usual subject matter. I am buying my first PC. For the past 18 years, I have gotten to take the computer from my desk at work when I got a new one there. Now I don't work there and I have had the last computer for 7 years (which was a beast when I got it). We just use it for ms office and internet (I have never played a computer game). Am I right in thinking that I should start by picking the processor? I was looking at the core 2 quad, hoping it would last me for a long while. Please give me your input.

Thanks for your help
 
Are you planning on building it yourself, because that is the best way to go.

What will you be using the PC for, and what is your budget?
 
We use it for internet and ms office. I would like to get away under $800 with a monitor if I can. I don't have a computer right now and my wife will be unhappy if we don't have one by the weekend. Here unhappiness could be lessened if I could say a reasonable amount of money. How much do you think I could save by building it myself?

Thanks
 
We use it for internet and ms office. I would like to get away under $800 with a monitor if I can. I don't have a computer right now and my wife will be unhappy if we don't have one by the weekend. Here unhappiness could be lessened if I could say a reasonable amount of money. How much do you think I could save by building it myself?

Thanks

For the most part if you are looking to buy a new computer, building will always save you money its hard to say how much exactly, as there are so many different manufacturers out there. But don't forget that these manufacturers charge not only for parts but for labor too. If you'd like I can recommend some parts to make a nice build for what you need.
 
We use it for internet and ms office. I would like to get away under $800 with a monitor if I can. I don't have a computer right now and my wife will be unhappy if we don't have one by the weekend. Here unhappiness could be lessened if I could say a reasonable amount of money. How much do you think I could save by building it myself?

Thanks

Building isn't hard, but wiring and precautions are what worries me when it comes to people building. I would suggest getting a refurbished PC from newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com. I would also suggest going to a local microcenter or Fry's and looking at an HP desktop and adding memory.
 
when i get home, i'll do a build for you.

I should be able to give you a good one with that sort of budget.
 
Back
Top