Need new router

scolls

Networking/Wireless routers is not my strong suit but I think I need a new router. I currently have an Apple TimeCapsule which I believe it is 2nd gen and about 9 years old. I have 75 MBPS service. When I hard wire into the router, I get 90 MBPS download speed. On WIFI I get 27 MBPS with the laptop literally inches from the router. I feel due to the age, it's probably best to just upgrade instead of trying to figure out how to get more out of it.

I work from home and they require the computer to be hard wired. I also have a printer I connect via ethernet so I need two ethernet ports. I also store a lot of stuff on my TimeCapsule so I will likely need a USB 3.0 port to hook up an external HDD. I also connect usually my phone and stream music and perhaps use my laptop on WIFI while using the work computer through a hard wire connection.

I just don't know what to look for. There are so many different routers and bands and channels that I'm not sure what I need for this set up. I hope to spend around $100 or less. What should I be looking for? Any suggestions on routers?

beers

Staff member
If it's 802.11g then that's about all you can expect out of it. Ideally you'll be looking for something with 802.11ac as well as upgrading the network card in your client device if possible.

If you're set on using the timecapsule specifically then a newer version would probably be your best bet.

scolls

I'm not set on using the time capsule. I just need something with a USB output so I can hook up an external HDD to the router. FWIW my time capsule says it is 802.11n. This laptop is only a year old so I would imagine the network card is fairly up to date. I do notice my phone gets better download speeds on WIFI.

scolls

That is definitely in my price range. What kind of difference would I see between USB 2.0 and 3.0? I have a lot of video stored on my time capsule that I would like to transfer to an external HDD and be able to access it wireless on my laptop.

Also, here are the specs on my time capsule. Not sure how of date they are. https://support.apple.com/kb/SP508?locale=en_US

scolls

I will also add that I am thinking of getting a new modem. My modem is somewhat old. Since I work from home, I would like to get a good modem and have my old one as a backup. I was also looking into modem and router combos. I would obviously pay a little more for a combo than just a router.

beers

Staff member
If you can get your ISPs line rate via a wired connection then you don't have anything to gain by upgrading the modem.

scolls

It's so much I want to upgrade but to have a backup. It's very important I have wired internet access so I would like to have another modem as a spare. If my modem dies on me, I would need to buy something off the shelf at Best Buy right away. I couldn't wait to order one online so I would like to have a spare. If I can find a good all in one with router, I can use my current modem as a spare.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend staying away from the all in one modem/router combos. Any router with usb 3.0 will probably be above your budget. Besides, I don't think you can get usb 3.0 transfer speeds over a network.

scolls

What I'm getting confused about, is that my Windows laptop not even gets 30 MBPS over WIFI. My MacBook and iPhone each get 55 MBPS. The Windows laptop is the newest and has an AC network card. Is it that my router is just too old and not really compatible with the Windows laptop? Also I'm supposed to have 75 MBPS and get 90 when hard wired so is a 20-35 MBPS loss normal?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are right next to the router and device in only wireless G its normal to see a nominal loss if your internet speed is around 50mb but once your internet speed is over that then wireless connection is limited to 54mb. If everything is wireless N then you should be close to what you should be getting. Try downloading the latest driver for the wireless card. In fact, what wireless card do you have? There are known issues with some Intel AC adapters.

scolls

So I downloaded the updated driver and my speed is now 55 MBPS. I forgot I had updated from Windows 8 to 10 so the drivers were likely not updated. Now all of my devices are averaging 55/10. When I plug it in I get 90 down. Is it normal to lose 35 MBPS over WIFI? I'm thinking now I may not need a new router.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Hmm.. was not aware Apple makes a router. The more you know.

As for your wireless connection, it depends how far you are from the router. The farther you go, the lower speeds you'll get.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your router settings to see what its broadcasting, it may only be broadcasting G signal and not N.