Need some advice and help

I have recently inherited a semi old HP Pavilion A1000y desktop. It has 512mb of ram, 2.8ghz Intel Celeron D, and an intel integrated graphics chip. I installed windows 7 on the machine, full well knowing i didnt have nearly enough ram for what is recommended, but my question is how can i speed up the machine. When i look at resources the ram really doesnt seem to be a big problem, its around 80% used most the time and never really goes past that but the cpu does seem to max out at 100%.. often. But, i dont wanna sink a lot of money into this machine, its a secondary one i use for fun and justa few programs for xbox and stuff and multimedia connected to my 32".

Also, on the index tool the graphics only gets a 1.9 so im curious, would it really help to speed up the machine to get a better graphics cards, would more ram really make a big difference, or would upgrading the cpu make the big difference?

Now i know upgrading all 3 would make a huge difference, but i want you advice, which of the 3 would make the biggest difference and really speed up my comp?

Also im just kinda curious, is the cpu kinda decent? and would getting just a celeron dual core or a pentium dual core be much different?
 
Personally, I would the CPU last on the list of things to upgrade. First would probably be the graphics card since the chip really doesn't do much at all, and then the RAM (since RAM is pretty cheap). And if you're talking about upgrading the CPU on the computer (especially a factory made one like that), I would just replace the entire computer. But that's me.
 
I have recently inherited a semi old HP Pavilion A1000y desktop. would it really help to speed up the machine to get a better graphics cards, would more ram really make a big difference, or would upgrading the cpu make the big difference?

Now i know upgrading all 3 would make a huge difference, but i want you advice, which of the 3 would make the biggest difference and really speed up my comp?

Also im just kinda curious, is the cpu kinda decent? and would getting just a celeron dual core or a pentium dual core be much different?

The MB is a socket 478 so dual core anything is out of the question. If you can find a used Northwood or Prescott core P4 (not celeron) 2.8 or above CPU chip, that would help but not a whole lot. A decent graphics card might help it run a bit smoother but I wouldn't spend much on it. Ideally, going to 2 gig on the ram would be the best bet but again I wouldn't spend much there either. At minimum if you want to make it at least somewhat usable put another 512 stick in it do a good clean load of XP or Vista and call it a day.

Mother board Specs

If you are committed to using Win 7, take a look at the upgrade page.
 
thanks for the input guys I think I'm going to get another 512 or 1gb of ram depending on how cheap they are and probably look ino getting a graphics card if I can find one cheap enough
 
Back
Top