Need some advice on my setup, CPU is too hot?

NyxCharon

So this is my comp:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...foCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3686678

And i just installed a new CPU, a E8400. I did use artic silver compound when i installed it. Now, when i tried to install the heatsink that came with it, i couldn't because, since i have a rather old mobo, it has threaded inserts for it, and the new heatsink doesn't. So now, when i turn the computer turns on the heatsink fan is always going full blast, and before it hardly ever run. And the temps seem really high, considering there.s no load on it..
So what can i do? I want my temps down, and this damn fan to shutup. :p
If you need any more info, let me know. I'm going to run some test on it for now, really stress it, and see what happens. And no, It's not OC'ed at all.
temps.png

kobaj

VIP Member
Fraid I never used the stock heatsink on my e8400. And I've not heard of threaded inserts I thought all LGA775 was the "push pin" style. Regardless, HSFs are cheap from newegg, and have both screw in style or push pin. Anything from zalman/tuniqe/thermaltake maybe even coolermaster is good. Depending on what you want to spend.

kobaj

VIP Member
Before you purchase a new cooler,

I realized I forgot to ask.

How much AS5 did you use? You only need a rice sized bit in the middle of the cpu. Too much and it overheats. Too little and it overheats.

How long have you let the AS5 burn in? It takes a good 2-3 days of being on your cpu before it actually "works" and drops your temps a bit lower.

You cleaned off the old AS5 as well correct? What is the ambient temperature in your room. If its something like 30C then thats certainly not helping your cpu!

For the record, 65, while 5 degrees hotter than I would prefer to run, isn't terrible by any means. 72 is the max temp for that cpu.

As for replacement heatsink, if you decided that best, I would try and find something with copper (and heatpipes if you can afford it). You'll get better heat conductivity.

Last edited:

NyxCharon

Before you purchase a new cooler,

I realized I forgot to ask.

How much AS5 did you use? You only need a rice sized bit in the middle of the cpu. Too much and it overheats. Too little and it overheats.

How long have you let the AS5 burn in? It takes a good 2-3 days of being on your cpu before it actually "works" and drops your temps a bit lower.

You cleaned off the old AS5 as well correct? What is the ambient temperature in your room. If its something like 30C then thats certainly not helping your cpu!

For the record, 65, while 5 degrees hotter than I would prefer to run, isn't terrible by any means. 72 is the max temp for that cpu.

As for replacement heatsink, if you decided that best, I would try and find something with copper (and heatpipes if you can afford it). You'll get better heat conductivity.

I used a rice sized amount, just like whats pictured in the how to build a desktop guide on this site. And yeah i cleaned it real good before i put it on. And yeah, It's only been on for about a hour now, but that fan is on nonstop and it's driving me nuts. :p
So i guess I'll wait and see, I'm not so worried about it overheating now, as I am about that fan being quiet.