Need Some advice-PLEASE

ycity

Hi---I'm new here and a idiot when it comes to computers--so please bear with me-
I have a Sony V notebook--bought it end of 2003--it was top of the line when it came to memory and things like that--
Well about 3 months ago it would drag in loading anything---by the way I have dsl--I know enough to disk clean up and defrag-did that and have 41% of free space--
Well I got fed up with it and took to a computer guy that works on them--He told me I had over 90 corrupted files on it and would have to take everthing off my computer-I said okey as long as it was fixed --Well he charged me 120.00 and said he put more security on it--zone alarm and so on was on there--IT WAS WORSE THAN EVER when I got it back--he said bring it back and he would look at it again--I talked to him today and he said--it might be my hard drive--he's still working on it--Does any of this sound right to any of you???
Thank You

The_Other_One

VIP Member
It's not uncommon for computers to slow down due to excessive startup programs, spyware, or other things. I say reloading a computer every year is a good measure to keep everything clean and running smoothly.

As for it being slower after the reload, a failing hard drive could cause a speed decrease, but typically it's very sever. Expect lock-ups that almost never recover depending on how bad the drive is...

Without seeing the computer, it's hard to know exactly what was wrong before and after. Though one thing that stands out; do you know if the tech even loaded the drivers on the system? Lacking video drivers can really slow a computer down.

systek

banned
it sounds right. sounds like he tried to "fix" your data without buying any parts by running Chkdsk /r. that will usually fix "corrupt" files, costs him nothing since the machine does all the work. if the hdd is failing, this action can actually finish off the hdd and send it to lala land. He should have suggested replacing the hdd, provide data backup if you wanted...possibly even imaging the working hdd to the new hdd so that you didnt lose anything. there were multiple options, but you probably just didnt pick the best guy to do the job....and ppl wonder why i charge $75/hr for this kind of work...

ycity

Thank You for your replies--should I say to him forget it if he says it's the hd and find someone else more reliable to work on it?how much does it cost for the repair if it is hd?

luckyedboy66

Thank You for your replies--should I say to him forget it if he says it's the hd and find someone else more reliable to work on it?how much does it cost for the repair if it is hd?

well, it depends if you try to do it yourself... if it is indeed the HDD, alls ya got to do is find an HDD with the same interface (IDE/SATA), then install windows on it, then download and install needed drivers from the HP site. my advice is to go and befriend a computer wise person, who can guide you through the process. otherwise, it could get pricey.