Need some hard drive help/recommendations

J.faenc

I received a computer from a colleague, but he told me the hard drive doesn't work (doesnt go past the startup screen). And we tried running diagnostics on it and it said everything is ok, but no hard drive is detected.
So I'm looking to purchase and replace the hard drive, but I'm not exactly sure with what? Or if it would even be worth replacing? the computer is a little old. I'm a total novice at this, but I figured if it's only the hard drive, I could probably replace that on my own rather than sending it in to get repaired (and spending over $350).

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 20 3043. I'll attach an image of the current hard drive. Been searching for a not too pricy equivalent but if there's one that's better than what is shown that could work with the Dell (and wouldn't break the bank), I'd probably go for it.
So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg

_Pete_

I don't know where you are but a 500Gb, which is what you have, is around £15 on Ebay UK. You will also have to have an operating system and for that you will need Microsoft product number that should be on a blue/green label attached to your computer. To purchase an operating system such as Windows 7 or Windows 10 will cost you over £100. Again not knowing how old the computer is I wouldn't think it had Windows 10 on it. If it was Windows 7 then that can be upgraded to Windows 10 but if it had Vista that is no longer supported and that is not upgradeable.

According to the specs here:- https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-3043-desktop-computer-fdcwet8105p/specs/ That had Windows 8.1 so you may be able to get a Windows 10 upgrade from here:- http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade This is really for people who use assistive technology but there is nothing to say what assitive technolgy it applies to. I wear glasses for instance so I do use that web site.

Just realised that you are talking in $ so I assume you are in America so have a look on the American Ebay. I cannot see a 500 gig hard drive being much different in price.

Last edited:

JaredDM

One thing to watch out for here, is that that is a 7mm drive. Some are 9mm thick and likely won't fit inside your laptop if that was the original thickness drive.

As to a replacement, I'd say just go with any Toshiba or HGST brand drive that is 7mm or thinner as listed in the specs. Hard drives are all pretty much universally compatible so long as they fit inside.

As _Pete_ suggested, it may have already been signed up for the free Win 10 upgrade, and if so you can just download the installer ISO from Microsoft and install it. Just ignore when it asks for the key. As soon as it goes online it'll re-activate itself automatically. If it was never signed up for the free upgrade, then you'll have to look for the Windows 8 key sticker somewhere on the laptop and locate an OEM install disk for it.