Need some help with my pc that won't turn on

Clownfetus

Hello all,

I've had a pc that I built lying around for about a year or so after heavy usage and decided the other day that I was going to try and fix it up and see if I could get it working again.

Recently the HDD failed (or at least that's what I'm thinking, the computer would start, crash every time until one day the blue screen and then next time I get "missing operating system")

So I went out, bought a new case, an SSD and windows 8, still using all of my old parts. I've taken it apart and put it back together now about 4 times and am having trouble booting up. As soon as I turn on the PSU, the fans start up automatically (as if I had pressed the start button) and everything seems to run for about 7 seconds, then it turns off automatically and I can't even turn it back on manually on the motherboard. The lights on the board are lit, but it only seems to have life when I turn off/on the PSU. Has anyone had issues like this before?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would assume its a psu issue or possibly you have shorted the motherboard against the case. Did you use the standoffs between motherboard and case?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you have to use them. Only put them where there is a hole in the motherboard for them. What motherboard and case do you have?

Clownfetus

I have an asus p6t lga 1366 and its going into a NXZT H230 case. So I put the motherboard on the standoffs, but now it just keeps turning on and off automatically?

Again thanks for all of the help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The motherboard requires 9 standoffs and the case doesn't have any raised areas from what I can see so you will need to use all 9. You may have to reset the cmos now. Remove power from power supply, remove cmos battery, press and hold the power button on the case for 10 seconds, then wait a few minutes. Then reinsert battery and reconnect power and try booting up.