Need suggestions

Trevor03

I'm currently shopping for components for the system I am about to build. I want a video card comparable to the ATI Radeon HD 5870X2 - 4GB - ASUS ARES ROG Limited Edition, but I don't want to pay a whopping $1,200 for it. What's my budget? Well, let's just say it's not that $1,200 for the ASUS.

Proposed system minus the video card:

Internal Expansion: 6-Port NZXT Internal USB Expansion System

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 980X Processor Extreme Edition (6x 3.33GHz/12MB L3 Cache)

Memory: Corsair 24 GB 4 GB X6 DDR3-1600

Motherboard: 3-Way SLI EVGA X58 SLI Classified w/ 2x Gb LAN, 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16 (definitely up in the air on this one)

Power Supply: 1000 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-1000HX

Any help? The ASUS would be nice, but I don't want to pay that much money when I know that much of it is "status symbol" appeal.

fastdude

GTX480>HD5870 (slightly)

or two/three GTX480s would be more powerful than 2/3xHD5870/Asus Ares.

Monster PC:eek:

Trevor03

Okay,
I'm leaning more towards getting 5970. I can't wait to get the 6xxx series as I may be moving around to some other part of the world at that time and the opportunity to build this sucker could be blown (it's a long story that has to do with my job, don't ask). I really don't want to have to deal with multiple cards so I'm reluctant to crossfire two 5870's. I read some good things about the GTX 480, but I also read that it was really freakin hot, and thus, really freakin loud. I also heard that it didn't quit perform as well as the 5970. However, I keep hearing that the GTX series specializes in tesselation, which I guess nVidia is banking on becoming a staple in the way the games industry produces graphics. If this is true, then a gtx 480 might be more adept at handling future titles than the Radions.

Like I said, I'm leaning more toward the 5970, but can anybody tell me more about the whole tesselation thing and it's impact on the GPU market? I'll be honest, I haven't really been following a lot of this stuff for about 5 years. That's a long time in this market. Any feedback is appreciated as is the feedback already posted. Thanks guys.