Need the BEST desktop to run design software

lhg07

I am an interior design major and my laptop is going to explode if I install one more program. So I need a desktop.

I need it to flawlessly run AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Adobe CS4, Google sketch-up, and ArchiCAD.

Now I have been looking at the 27" iMac. (I'm a PC and know nothing about Macs). But I want the best computer for 3D rendering and graphics. If it is the best option, I'm willing to pay the $2300 for the iMac. But do I need to pay $2300 for the iMac? Are there other desktops that may be just as good or better without having to spend $2300? Please give me any input you have. I guess I want to know if Macs really are the superior choice for design and graphics or is it all based on the graphics card and memory?

Thanks!:)

toolcrib

One aspect of the 27" iMac is that the lcd display has a good resolution 2560x1440 and is an LED backlit IPS display. The IPS displays are known for better color reproduction which is probably important in design. Doing a quick search of monitors with these specs or better I came to a minimum price of a bit more than $1000 for the monitor alone, Dell's U2711 is an example. I did not do an exhaustive search of current monitors, so someone with better knowledge may be able to get you an equivalent display for a bit less. This would leave you with $1300 for a tower keyboard and mouse, so either of the above builds would be possible.

My knowledge of the ability to upgrade Apple Computers is limited, so the following argument may not apply. If I was looking at getting a computer built around a $1000 monitor, I would not want to tie it to a specific computer. Going the Microsoft route would let you replace or upgrade the tower in the future without having to purchase a new monitor.

Andrew