need to know how mouse cursor movement is related to mouse movement

Flintwheel

Hi, I have a question regarding mouse movement. I have an old serial tablet and I want to adapt it to a PS2 mouse port so that it shows up as a regular PS2 mouse. I want to make the adapter have sevrel modes for converting the absoulte postion on the tablet to relative postions for the mouse port and one of the modes I want to have will be one where the mouse cursor moves a fixed amount for a fixed amount of pen movement. (So that if you put the cursor in the center of the screen move the pen around the tablet then move it back to the same place on the tablet the cursor will be in the center of the screen again.)

I know that the movement of the cursor on screen and the movement of the mouse is not linear and so i need to develop some way of countering the alogritam that produces this non-linarity.

I've read an artical that says "When the mouse was moved slowly it remained 100 CPI and when the mouse was moved fast it appears to be 400 CPI mouse." about the origonal apple mouse and goes on to say that most modern operating systems work the same way but I still need to know the CPI ratings used on modern operateing systems and the speed threshold (from the data being sent through the mouse cable) that will swich between the two CPI ratings. I also dont know whether the change in CPI is produced in the mouse or in the operating system but I am assumeing that the operating system has this alogritham.

So can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
What you're talking about is mouse acceleration. Try turning off "enhance pointer precision" on windows 7. Without it the mouse seems to move more linearly.

Flintwheel

What you're talking about is mouse acceleration. Try turning off "enhance pointer precision" on windows 7. Without it the mouse seems to move more linearly.

urm... I dont think you Quite understand what I'm on about... I was refering to the way mose operating systems increse the amount the cursor moves (per amount of mouse movement) as the speed the mouse moves increses.

From some web reserch I know that when the computer mouse was being develpoed it was found that when moving the cursor to a diffrent area of the screen it needs to move further per inch of mouse movement than when manovering the cursor onto a small object. So the way the cursor moves in relation to the mouse is non-linear.

I need to know how the alogritham works so that I can create an alogritham that counters it so that the motion of the pen is mapped linearly to the motion of the cursor on screen.

Sorry, dude.

Rocko

Basically he wants a 1:1 ratio between your pen & tablet/cursor & screen space.

he also wants to know the equation used to determine mouse acceleration. For instance;

Cursor Acceleration = (Distance on Screen Traveled)x(Instantaneous Mouse Velocity)

This is an unlikely equation and purely an example, but the distance traveled on screen and the physical mouse velocity would directly relate to a larger cursor acceleration.

Basically, the farther you go on your screen, and the faster your mouse moves to move your cursor, your operating system increases your virtual "cursor" velocity.

The only thing I can think of would be to look into the system registries.

Flintwheel

Basically he wants a 1:1 ratio between your pen & tablet/cursor & screen space.

he also wants to know the equation used to determine mouse acceleration. For instance;

Cursor Acceleration = (Distance on Screen Traveled)x(Instantaneous Mouse Velocity)

This is an unlikely equation and purely an example, but the distance traveled on screen and the physical mouse velocity would directly relate to a larger cursor acceleration.

Basically, the farther you go on your screen, and the faster your mouse moves to move your cursor, your operating system increases your virtual "cursor" velocity.

The only thing I can think of would be to look into the system registries.

erm...

The reason i want to do this is because i want to use my break times at collage to do some graphic design. The collage PCs wont even let you acess the hard drive! They are strictly internet and collage portol terminals. Therefor I need to find out what the equasion used is and write a equasion to adapt the values being sent to the mouse port before the computer.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I can guarantee you right now that nobody is going to know that off the top of their heads. You could try to derive it yourself, i bet they'll be a good chunk of calculus and diff eq involved.

You could measure the distance the mouse travels across the screen (in pixels) and relate it with the velocity and acceleration of the mouse itself (cm/s^s) and then derive a equation from multiple trials.