Need to take pics off old Hard Drive...

los7883

My dad bought an eMachine about two years ago and here recently he said it started clicking a lot then he smelled something burning and now it won't turn back on. When you unplug the computer then plug it back in you can hear a click from the power supply and the fan on the MB moves a little then nothing...from what I'm hearing...the power supplies on the eMachines are a piece of junk. If he gets another computer how would I go about installing his eMachines hard drive on my computer to get all his pictures off of it without having a driver for the hard drive?

He has a bunch of pictures and would hate to lose them. Any suggestions on what kind of driver I would need or would XP on my computer recognize it and load a generic driver for it? Thanks for the help in advance....

Rambo

It should be recognized by any windows version, 98, 200, ME, XP...

Just plug it into a computer as a secondary hard drive and remove the pictures to a safe place on the primary drive, or use the hard drive with pictures on them as primary (it must have an OS installed on it though), and save them all onto a disc.

You should be fine, either way...

los7883

Thanks a lot...will try that. Let me ask you your opinion...if it were you would you scavenge what you could off the eMachine and buy a new computer or would you just pay the $40 for a new PS and keep using the eMachine?

Bigshow1030

use it

Use what you can off of it and upgrade other things...I mean you would spend about the same amount probably buying a whole new one as what you would juicing up you old one. :)