Need to upgrade OS but have some questions

mjoliat

Hi All, I currently am running Vista on my desktop (64 bit Intel 4 core, w/8Gb ram). It really is not too bad. But I've upgraded a few of my other programs that have told me that the upgraded programs won't work on Vista. SO I want to upgrade my OS. Since I will have to pay for whatever version I upgrade to, I was thinking of going straight to Win10. From what I've read on here, a fresh install is the way to go as opposed to an upgrade. I'm thinking I will probably have to re-install all of my programs again, correct?
Are there any versions that allow installation on more than one device?
Is there any advantage for a typical home user to get the Win 10 Pro version as opposed to the home version?
Is a way to know for sure if it will work on my PC as it is, or will I need to upgrade hardware?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would have to reinstall everything after the clean install. One pc per license. There is no reason to get pro over home unless you want to join a domain. Is this a custom built pc or store bought?

mjoliat

You would have to reinstall everything after the clean install. One pc per license. There is no reason to get pro over home unless you want to join a domain. Is this a custom built pc or store bought?
I built it myself about 5 years ago.
Thanks johnb35. I built it myself a few years back. I just realized I had a few mistakes in my signature line if that is what you were looking at. A few hardware upgrades along the way.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't even know where to download drivers for that board. The EVGA board like that only goes up to windows 7. But since you are still running slot 775 I would probably just build a new system.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I wouldn't even know where to download drivers for that board. The EVGA board like that only goes up to windows 7. But since you are still running slot 775 I would probably just build a new system.

Can't windows 7 drivers be installed in compatibility mode?

mjoliat

His signature says its an XFX board not EVGA. I found the drivers for EVGA but not XFX. Might even be the same board.
I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card and adding some memory so I might as well just do the whole thing while I'm at it. Thanks for the help.