Need to upgrade this desktop for gaming and video recording

RSF1

New Member
I don't really know what I'm doing, so instead I'm going to do this with pictures.
This is not the PC I'm planning to buy. This is the one I already have and need help upgrading.
cpuk.png


cacheq.png


mainboardo.png


memoryn.png


spd.png


Slot 3 also has the exact same thing as above, but the other slots are empty.

graphics.png


Used to have two of these in an SLI configuration, but one of them got messed up and is now unusable. Its warranty expired before then.

I don't know what power supply I'm using. However, it IS getting old. Chances are an upgrade wouldn't hurt. I'm going to be buying this monitor or one very similar to it. I have a 1TB Western Digital internal HDD, but I have up to 2TB total space if you include externals. I'm running Windows 7 32-bit and have free access to Win 7 64-bit if it becomes a better decision to use that instead.

I have around about $700 to spend. I am going to be using this computer primarily to play and record games in 1920x1080. Occasionally, I may also edit and render videos. I don't really need new speakers, a new mouse, or any of that kinda stuff, because I'm just going to be upgrading this computer. The monitor is included in this budget, the $700 is to spend on other things.

My objective here is basically to get the most for my money based on what I currently have.
 
Last edited:
What sort of games are we talking here? Modern day games would stuggle with the PC you have there you are probably better off building a new PC.
 
What sort of games are we talking here? Modern day games would stuggle with the PC you have there you are probably better off building a new PC.
I doubt I'd be able to get much in terms of a new computer with $700, and I really don't have more to spend on it than that. But if for some reason it's a better idea to do that then to upgrade, then I'd be willing to do that too.

This is not the PC I'm planning to buy. This is the one I already have and need help upgrading.
 
Bumping this because it's reaching the second page and I'm still looking for ideas. As for what games I'm gonna play, it basically just depends on what I'm able to play.
 
It will be better to build a new system. is $700 your budget icluding monitor? what screen sze is your current one? just clarify a few things then i'll put a build together.
 
It will be better to build a new system. is $700 your budget icluding monitor? what screen sze is your current one? just clarify a few things then i'll put a build together.
Current monitor is a 17 inch ViewSonic LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024. Planning to buy a 23-24 inch LCD monitor with a native res of 1920x1080. I've already factored the rough cost of the kind of monitor I want, the $700 is to spend on other things. I already have speakers, a mouse, a keyboard, and plenty of hard drive space as storage was always important to me. I'll probably have 1.5TB of internal storage and I'll leave external storage unplugged for the most part.

I'm willing to throw in a bit more money to get a case being that I'd be getting an entirely new computer, so feel free to go over the budget a bit. But try not to go over like $800-850 if possible, case included.

Oh, and I don't need a new/preinstalled operating system as I've already got that covered.
 
Last edited:
That's an XPS 700/710, right?

You're going to want a quad core for this, and as far as I can tell, your motherboard only supports 6xxx (kentsfield) Core 2 Quad models.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/nforce700i/nForce_Intel_CPU_List.pdf

Cheapest I've found so far is $200 Q6700, which is roughly comparable in performance to the $100 Athlon II x4 635. You're going to want more power than that, and I doubt you would want to shell out for a QX6xxx, so it looks like a new build is indeed in order...definitely AMD with this budget. You'll be able to keep your drives, but not much else. You could also keep the RAM if you go with an AM2+ motherboard, but that may leave you limited in terms of upgrades later on.

If you pick that route, would you rather pay a bit more and have a Crossfire-capable motherboard, or save a bit and get a cheaper one in favor of other things?
 
Last edited:
Current monitor is a 17 inch ViewSonic LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024. Planning to buy a 23-24 inch LCD monitor with a native res of 1920x1080. I've already factored the rough cost of the kind of monitor I want, the $700 is to spend on other things. I already have speakers, a mouse, a keyboard, and plenty of hard drive space as storage was always important to me. I'll probably have 1.5TB of internal storage and I'll leave external storage unplugged for the most part.

I'm willing to throw in a bit more money to get a case being that I'd be getting an entirely new computer, so feel free to go over the budget a bit. But try not to go over like $800-850 if possible, case included.

Oh, and I don't need a new/preinstalled operating system as I've already got that covered.
Something like this would suit your needs well:
CPU+Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.405958

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161327

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119203

Memory+PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.408245

ODD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118039
 
Back
Top