Need video card recommendation

marchboom

I just bought a radio control airplane simulator (ClearView) and it will not give a display when I open the program. Text (manual, setting, etc) will appear but no graphics. My current card is the ATI Radeon 3100 (circa 2009). I looked at the inside of the computer and I don't see a video card. Must be built onto the motherboard(?). The manufacturer says it probably needs an updated video card. They recommend the ATI 9600 Pro or any card equal or better. Been difficult finding this card and I don't know what to look for when comparing cards. Do you folks have any recommendations for an INEXPENSIVE card that will make this program run? This program is the only graphics program I plan to use.

It does require the following: OpenGL 1.5, 1 Ghx CPU, 128mb 3D, DirectX 9, as minimums.

Computer is running Windows 7 (64-bit)

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like its got a max shared memory of 256mb which is probably why it doesn't work. I would just get the cheapest video card you can find like a gt210 or 710 or hd6450.

marchboom

Looks like its got a max shared memory of 256mb which is probably why it doesn't work. I would just get the cheapest video card you can find like a gt210 or 710 or hd6450.

Johnb35,

I looked at all 3 cards and they are all easily within my price range. Like I said, graphics cards are new to me. For my needs (RC flight simulator) which one of the 3 listed would you get?

Thanks.

beers

Staff member
Anything like that will work, I had a 9600 xt in high school which was like 2004/2005. Even the lowest end card you can pick up like a geforce 710 (go 730/740 if the price isn't much more) is exponentially faster.

marchboom

This one looks like it will work well and has good reviews. Sells for $39.43 thru Amazon. Is this a good choice? I like the idea of passive cooling. Just one more thing to not go wrong.

ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3 PCIE x 1 , DVI, HDMI, VGA, Low Profile Graphic Card (ZT-71304-20L)

marchboom

Installed the GeForce GT 710 card and everything is working fine now. Graphics are very good. Took a while to sync up the controller to the program.

Thanks again for your help.