Nero not recognizing cd rom drive

Da Mail Man

greetings,
i recently built a 4.0ghz system with a biostar board. nero ver 6 is installed and i am happy with that and don't care to upgrade so, that is not part of my concern.

i am running win xp pro sp1+2, 1gb ram, 300gb sata drive. nero and the rest of my system will recognize the other dvd dual layer burner i have installed but, not the cd rom.

yes, i have it (jumper) set as master and slave on the "ribbon cable" to the board ide slot/port. i have been to the ahead software (nero) site and have found only 1 item in the faq's that seem to match pertaing to settings in the device manager, which i have done, and still having no effect.

i ran into this problem some time before but, cannot remember how i fixed it. any ideas?...thanks!

elitehacker

Can you see the drive under windows explorer, as in can you see the drive when you go into my computer? i don't think there is a 4Ghz CPU out there on the market so you must be overclocking. A word of caution is that overclocking overclocks your PCI and IDE lanes too and sometimes if you overclock too much, it will create errors when you try to burn something. Maybe you are overclocking too much and nero is stuffing up because of that.

heyman421

banned
it's most likely an oem copy of nero

versions of nero that ship with drives will only work with the drives that they come with!

Styrak

versions of nero that ship with drives will only work with the drives that they come with!

Not true. I have used an OEM version of Nero with both my drives (different manufacturers).
You might have to go to the Nero site and download an update for Nero/your drive.
4.0GHz system? Wow, overclocked? And what processor?

Da Mail Man

Can you see the drive under windows explorer, as in can you see the drive when you go into my computer? i don't think there is a 4Ghz CPU out there on the market so you must be overclocking. A word of caution is that overclocking overclocks your PCI and IDE lanes too and sometimes if you overclock too much, it will create errors when you try to burn something. Maybe you are overclocking too much and nero is stuffing up because of that.

#################
thanks for the reply. i was overclocking just a bit but, i have backed it down to my 3.6 gig stock chip setting.i removed all the cables and "rewired" the entire computer in frustration and for some reason i have the drive now. i placved teh cables but not the slave/master settings onto a different slot on the board and it appears to be visible. i am in the process of reformationg the drive and will reload everything and wil let you know how i make out from there.

Da Mail Man

thanks for the reply. if i remember correctly, it is the "enterprise" edition of nero...(see my previous post on recent results).

Da Mail Man

Not true. I have used an OEM version of Nero with both my drives (different manufacturers).
You might have to go to the Nero site and download an update for Nero/your drive.
4.0GHz system? Wow, overclocked? And what processor?
##########################

3.6 overclocked a bit. i got it very easily up to 4.3 and worked fine w/out any flaws overheat (idles at 96*f) or errors whatsoever. but, i backed it down to the stock 3.6 setting until i get this set up the way i want it to be. doubt i will leave it o.c."ed to 4 when i am done.

heyman421

banned
well, one of my dvd-recorder drives disappeared once for no apparent reason

turned out i needed to delete something from the registry, and then it reappeared.

that's obviously only if windows doesn't even recognize it. it didn't even show up in my computer