Netbook or iPad?

What's best a netbook or iPad2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quiltface

It depends on the file you are opening and it I notice it running sluggish on my PC at home as well (which runs windows) but I am used to extremely light weight text editors as I barely use MS Office or Adobe products really. Which seem sluggish and bloated to me, but that is probably because I don't ever use such products when compared to other or most users.

yeah, MS word is pretty strong... i personally dont use a fraction of that programs potential. I can see what you mean... yeah adobe reader is just unnecessarily heavy

FXB

I voted netbook although they are a bit small for my liking. Still they are better than a tablet or Ipad.

how are they better?

I assume she will doing very mild spreadsheet, word processing. She could get a keyboard case or just the wireless keyboard for a tablet.

FXB

I say the iPad as well, for the listed functions from the op. You can use a keyboard with the iPad and it works very well, with no lag or delay. 2 options, using the wireless bluetooth keyboard or the keyboard dock. You can print as well from the iPad. The iPad has pages (apples version of word), numbers (apples version of excel) and keynote (apples version of powerpoint) and they run very very well, not just light versions of the desktop versions.

Also the iPad is incredibly simple, my dad, who is the furthest from being tech savvy is using his iPad and enjoying it. I chose the iPad because of its simplicity, but its still a powerful device capable of a lot.

Has your dad run into any limitations with the iPad?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I'd say ipad. Netbooks are generally sluggish and doesn't respond well to MS word and MS excel. Furthermore I would go out on a limb and say that your mom will probably enjoy the ipad more, as it's built better and looks sleeker.

paulcheung

Thunderdome

Has your dad run into any limitations with the iPad?

No, but he is a very light user, and again, far from a technological wizard. He uses very little of what its capable. He uses it for email and web surfing and the occasional streaming radio. The fact that it just works, no glitches, nothing for him to fight through or problem solve with no technological background makes a winner for me. Also the fact that it is touch makes it simple, just touch what you see and go from there. The interface is great to, again very simple and usable, which is a feature in and of itself. So many terrible GUI's out there.

tlarkin

VIP Member
No, but he is a very light user, and again, far from a technological wizard. He uses very little of what its capable. He uses it for email and web surfing and the occasional streaming radio. The fact that it just works, no glitches, nothing for him to fight through or problem solve with no technological background makes a winner for me. Also the fact that it is touch makes it simple, just touch what you see and go from there. The interface is great to, again very simple and usable, which is a feature in and of itself. So many terrible GUI's out there.

One of the cool things about iOS is that every app runs in it's own self contained environment, so if it crashes it cannot affect anything else on the system. So, a non technical user won't be plagued with esoteric error messages, blue screens, or what not. They simply get an app crash and nothing else. This makes it very simple (and secure by design) for a non technical user to use an iPad.

My grandma who is nearly 80 uses a computer but she uses a desktop. She started out knowing nothing but got huge into genealogy. So she uses it for research and family tree apps and forums and internet groups based around genealogy. It took her a while but she eventually understood the basics and emails me all the time.

I think though people like her who don't have a clue can pick up an iPad and just get it, and it just always works. Most people in the world do not use a computer at all still.

Thunderdome

One of the cool things about iOS is that every app runs in it's own self contained environment, so if it crashes it cannot affect anything else on the system. So, a non technical user won't be plagued with esoteric error messages, blue screens, or what not. They simply get an app crash and nothing else. This makes it very simple (and secure by design) for a non technical user to use an iPad.

My grandma who is nearly 80 uses a computer but she uses a desktop. She started out knowing nothing but got huge into genealogy. So she uses it for research and family tree apps and forums and internet groups based around genealogy. It took her a while but she eventually understood the basics and emails me all the time.

I think though people like her who don't have a clue can pick up an iPad and just get it, and it just always works. Most people in the world do not use a computer at all still.

There was some story about that when the first iPad came out, some 80 year old woman using an iPad with no computer history at all. Now you need some help setting certain things up of course, but it really doesn't get any easier from a user stand point.

tlarkin

VIP Member
SO my mom went out and bought this netbook what is everyone's opinion on this?

I am not familiar with HP netbooks, so I cannot say. Though my friends and I bought a netbook for my friends who got robbed this past xmas and we all chipped in and got them a HP netbook. I didn't pick it out, just tossed money into it. They seem to like it.

mihir

VIP Member
I have that netbook.
No problems with it yet,except I don't like the screen bezels and the glossy screen. :D
Otherwise everything is good,the keyboard is well spaced out,the touchpad is same as any other netbook,runs ubuntu just fine for me. :D