Netflix on my TV is slow, but nothing else on the network is. Completely baffling problem.

I have an 802.11ac router (Arris Surfboard SBG6900AC) with a 110 mbps cable connection. I get a solid 110 mbps on all my devices, my desktop, cell phones, laptop, everything... except my TV. One day I noticed Netflix kept buffering so I decided to use the Netflix "check network speed" option in the settings menu. It came back 0.5 mbps on 5 GHz. I tried switching to 2.4 GHz. That for some reason increased the speed to 6.5 mbps, but still insanely slow. I tried a direct Ethernet connection, still only 6.5 mbps. Again, every other device connects at the full 110 mbps.

I decided the TV was junk and I returned it and bought a different TV from a different brand. Then I get it home and exact same issue, still maxing out at 6.5 mbps on Netflix, regardless if I use wireless or Ethernet. The thing is Netflix on my desktop computer loads instantly and perfectly. It's only an issue on my TV. So I tried using the same Ethernet port and cable I use to connect my desktop (which connects at 110 mbps), and that resulted in no change to the speed of the TV.

So then you would say it would have to be Netflix because TWO TVs, one brand new, and both connected via Ethernet cant possibly be the problem. However, we all know it's not Netflix either. They could probably upload to you at 500 gbps if you had a fast enough Internet connection, so I am at a loss as to why two TVs cannot get faster than 6.5 mbps on Netflix, even via Ethernet, but everything else on the network connects at a full 110 mbps.

The last thing I thought was maybe my ISP is limiting speed to Netflix, but I use Time Warner/ Cox which is not listed as being an ISP known to throttle or prioritize Netflix. And if they did, it would affect my desktop too and it doesent. I am at a loss as to what the issue could possibly be as I think I have tried everything. The only thing left is the modem, but I dont see how the modem would only limit speed to TVs and not to anything else.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you try using a different port on the router? Other then that, it doesn't make any sense at all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If I had to guess, it's a router issue. Try unplugging it for a minute, then plug it back in and see if you still get the same results. Doing so, should reset any issues with the router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm at a loss then. 2 different tv's, wireless or wired, same thing happens. But other devices on the network stream netflix fine.

Darren

Staff member
Weird thought, but if your smartphone is capable and you have the data for it, try tethering via WiFi to your phone and see how it acts.

Good thought. Dident think of that option. Anyway I returned the new TV I just bought and got a third some from yet another brand. Now it seems the problem is fixed. I connected at 5 GHz on wireless and got 110 mbps from the Netflix server ping. No idea why it took three TVs to fix it...

Problem could be the TV hardware itself, pure speculation but I would imagine with some TV's all the money goes into the screen itself, and all other processing power of the TV to run app's could be lacking.

I have a similar problem, my downstairs main TV, that is right next to my router and cabled in does the exact same with both Netflix and Amazon apps, its a Samsung 55" curve smart TV (not 4K), anyway ist cabled into my router so no chance of network lag yet still Netflix and Amazon although not unusable seem to run slow direct on the TV, it just so happens that I have a PS4 hooked up to the same TV which again has a cable connection to the Router, I have 200Mps Virgin Media as well btw so its not a slow connection, anyway when I run Netflix or Amazon via the playstation to the same TV, it runs smoothly.

I guess logic points to the TV hardware not been as powerful of the PS4 when it comes to running Apps, another think to consider it the TV I purchased, as far as 55" Smart TV's go, was very cheap, so that's probably where the money was saved, becasue the picture quality is fine so without going in and analysing the specs to the TV compared to similar more expensive options, its not hard to assume the TV lacks processing power, for me personally this is not an issue with the TV since the PS4 is more than capable of holding up where the TV lacks giving me a more than adequate all round home entertainment system, but still I think the answer is right there, and if someone does want to take the study the relevant specs that then maybe this theory could be better verified, however I and going purely on speculation.