Netflix viewing

prowler

As someone who would be considered a "beginner" with wireless capabilities, what cables and/or other interface would be necessary for me to watch movies on my home TV via Netflix? I currently have a Linksys router on my computer desk with a couple of vacant ports. It is now being used for my job info-link device and is currently hard-wired to the info-link base.

boo-boo

banned
You would need a netflix capable device. If your tv doesnt have netflix on it you will need to either buy a blu-ray player, xbox 360, ps3 or wii. Or you can watch netflix on your computer.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Additionally, you will need a network cable to connect your Netflix-capable device to an empty spot on the router.

SslagleZ28

or if your computer has a HDMI slot you can run a HDMI cable from you computer directly to your TV. that is is your tv has a hdmi hook up and your computer is close enough

prowler

All the replies from you have been helpful. What I'm finding now is the [overall] monthly dollar increase for Netflix might be something that gives me second thoughts for the time being. Here's what I believe to be true. If I misunderstand any other following issues, please correct my thinking.

Although my router has WiFi capabilities which may allow me to communicate with my TV without running a cable from the main TV to my router, that's a savings. However, I will need to buy some sort of Netflix-capable device (Roku or otherwise) plus I will need to upgrade my Internet speed to 3mb for an additional $25 per month. To increase speed to 5mb/sec for HiDef is substantially more money yet. At the very least, the monthly upgrade will be $7.99 for Netflix coupled with the monthly Internet speed upgrade for $25.00, for a total of $33.00 per month.

Sound right?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Sound right?

That sounds about right. You're going to want a relatively fast connection for any streaming, particularly HD. If you watch a lot of TV, it's def worth it. We use netflix in our household on a daily basis. Fortunately when they released the streaming service, I already had a PS3 and fiber internet connection, so my only real startup cost was the monthly netflix fee.

SslagleZ28

That sounds about right. You're going to want a relatively fast connection for any streaming, particularly HD. If you watch a lot of TV, it's def worth it. We use netflix in our household on a daily basis. Fortunately when they released the streaming service, I already had a PS3 and fiber internet connection, so my only real startup cost was the monthly netflix fee.

I don't exactly agree, I have netflix and stream it as well with internet speed that look like this:

1131564685.png

Now aside from the occasional hang up which yes I do get, and didn't when I had High speed cable internet, it streams just fine. Plus between the streaming, and the 2 blu-rays I can have at a time I think I pay $30 a month. Now I'm a movie fanatic, so I have figured out a rotation that gets me 5 blu-rays a week. That's 20 movies a month and that doesn't include what I stream. But like they said if you watch alot of movies it's worth it. If not then I would just stick with pay per view of your local rental place.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I don't exactly agree, I have netflix and stream it as well with internet speed that look like this:

1131564685.png

Fair enough. If I were OP, I'd prolly sign up for the free trial and see if my current connection is sufficient before committing to an upgrade.

Mattu

We stream ours through an Apple TV (my dad's a big Apple fan :rolleyes:) connected to our main living room TV. I would however not recommended getting an Apple TV and save some $$$ and get the Roku like already mentioned.

Our internet speed averages 2.75 Mbs and I can still notice compression artifacts when watching a movie (they make everything look squarey, especially with a movie with a lot of fast action scenes). Now don't get me wrong, the movie is still watchable, but don't expect DVD quality unless you get about 5Mbs+.

Dngrsone

VIP Member

1131564685.png

Now aside from the occasional hang up which yes I do get, and didn't when I had High speed cable internet, it streams just fine. Plus between the streaming, and the 2 blu-rays I can have at a time I think I pay $30 a month. Now I'm a movie fanatic, so I have figured out a rotation that gets me 5 blu-rays a week. That's 20 movies a month and that doesn't include what I stream. But like they said if you watch alot of movies it's worth it. If not then I would just stick with pay per view of your local rental place.

I concur. You don't need blistering speeds to use Netflix. I had the same connection as Sslagle for two years and my wife used Netflix daily.

When she got tired of the occasional interruption in the middle of a movie (usually when one of the kids was on the internet, too) she finally broke down and asked for a $10 upgrade in service. Now my throughput is about double and we rarely have any hiccoughs in service.

Wireless is actually going to be your bottleneck, I bet,

Mattu

It's ok.. lol. I own an iPod myself, but most people do who do not own an Apple computer.

Speaking of iPod, if the OP already has an iPod touch or iPhone, you can stream Netflix through it with their free app. You can find the TV cables for iPod cheaply enough online :good:

mailliw

Netflix

I just dropped NetFlix, I enjoyed it, had bought the right devices to use and I have high speed internet. My problem was it didn't want to work right when someone else in my family was using the internet, ether computer or watching NetFlix. Yet I have enough speed for several comps to surf at the same time. Easier for me to just rent movies.

prowler

Since starting this thread in January, we bought a 55" Samsung TV from Best Buy, that came as a Super Bowl special. It had a bunch of stuff bundled in the price ... including a Wireless LAN Adapter.

The new TV setup allowed us to access free Yahoo news/sports and a couple of other things via Wifi. There was no visible distortion or other undesirable effects we were aware of for any of the Wifi stuff even though we still had the slower 1.5 Mbps Internet speed.

A couple of weeks ago, Netflix offered a free 30 trial, which we signed up for. We've been watching movies and specials on Netflix every evening for the past 10 days as part of this free trial period, and don't have a bit of trouble watching anything they have to offer.