Netgear out of date Help please!

jacqui-bug

Hi everyone, I am not the least bit techy and have a BIG problem, we have a netgear router attached to my home computer. It was installed to send signal up to the computer upstairs, My computer is/was the main one. I keep getting messages about my netgear being out of date, doesn't use the 'right' protocol? Anyway, my question is this. The computer upstairs is no longer in use, could I just disconnect the netgear from my computer with no problems ? or would this stop MY computer from recieving internet, we have a sky router. Please help, I dare not just unplug it because I do not know the password in case I need to reinstall.

jacqui-bug

Do you have a copy of the error or message?
ok it says the following in the pop up which also tells me when I am offline and reinstated later
this Wi Fi network uses an older security standard that is being phased out. We recommend connecting to a different network.
That is what it says

beers

Staff member
It's probably using WEP or WPA1, which can be broken into pretty quickly.

You'd ideally want to use WPA2 with AES, which should be a configurable option from the router GUI.

jacqui-bug

It's probably using WEP or WPA1, which can be broken into pretty quickly.

You'd ideally want to use WPA2 with AES, which should be a configurable option from the router GUI.
I thank you sincerely for your help, however that means nothing to me lol I shall see what I can work out though, you have been very kind to bother.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the upstairs computer isn't being used anymore why worry about it? Do you have other wifi devices connected to the same router? Is your computer connected to the netgear router? On what pc are you getting these messages? What model of netgear router is it?

Couriant

Judging by what you are saying, it may be that your firmware is out of date, which you should update. But if it is an older model, it may need to be replaced.