NETGEAR Wireless problem

Rivers48

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me with the predicament that i have.

So here is the problem:

I have a NETGEAR CG 3000 router, it came with the internet contract that we are on at the moment. Since having it we have two desktops connected through ethernet to it and it has been running fine. I just bought a laptop the other day though, this is where the problem comes in, i have done speed tests on the wireless and seem to only be reaching 1.5mbits/s MAX. However, if i connect through ethernet i can get 30mbits/s easy. I rang netgear support and they only suggested changing the channel that it was on, which i have done many times to no avail. Im stuck... i don't want to have to plug in the ethernet cable for the laptop every time i want to download something. Browsing the internet on the laptop wireless is fine but anything besides that (download games on Steam only got to 115kb/s max) is woefull.

Any help would be appreciated! :D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try another wireless device using the router and see what speed it gets. If it gets the same speed then you know its the router. Try your laptop at someone else's house to see what speed it gets as well. Thats the only way to diagnose an issue like this.