Network Adapter Driver

trewyn15

Hey all,

I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1018 that I inherited. I plan on using it as a shop laptop out in the garage for quick access to forums and diagrams and such.

I have reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on it and it is running good for the most part. I am currently having an issue with the hotkeys and network adapter driver, it looks like it's not registering the adapter at all. This leads me to assume that I just have the wrong driver installed, or the adapter is unplugged or something similar to that.

I have attached what logo I am getting for wifi right now. I will pull the keyboard off and see if I unplugged something when previously pulling the hard drive.

Other than that, any suggestions?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 46

trewyn15

Thanks for the link, I tried to install it twice and I'm getting 'Not connected' when I look in the network connections and 'No connections are available' when I look in the taskbar. I'm not sure if the adapter has just failed or what is going on.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Make sure the wireless switch is set to on. If there's no physical switch then you have a fn key such as fn+F2 (or whatever has the wireless radio logo on it)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
To make sure all drivers are installed, check device manager. If that looks fine then we can only assume wireless switch is off.

trewyn15

Wow....

So I had been tryin fn + f2 and it wasn't taking it... this whole time I guess it just wanted f2 alone and no 'fn'.

Thanks all for the input! Hopefully I can get this running right out in the shop :D

beers

Staff member
Nice, I dislike the trend where F buttons now need the Fn button to actually register as F2. My Lenovo T440 from work does this, I'd want to hit F5 for a page refresh but it just dims the screen :(

Glad you got it sorted.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Wow....

So I had been tryin fn + f2 and it wasn't taking it... this whole time I guess it just wanted f2 alone and no 'fn'.

Thanks all for the input! Hopefully I can get this running right out in the shop :D

Nice, I dislike the trend where F buttons now need the Fn button to actually register as F2. My Lenovo T440 from work does this, I'd want to hit F5 for a page refresh but it just dims the screen :(

Glad you got it sorted.

Yeah I hate when they automatically do the macro assigned to the key instead of the F key itself. Glad my suggestion worked :good:

bdonovan

this happens to me each time i try to re-install my pc...there are always at least 2 drivers, which make problems...actually it turned out that the problem may occur if you have installed down-to-date drivers too...thus i decided to install software that will do all the work for me..now i use Drivermax, but there are many others...