network backup

LCollins17

recently started a new IT job, and have been trying to come up with a decent back-up plan, our public server is only like 3 gig so everytime the entire network backs up i have to first move data onto P: then cut it fromP drive and paste it intomy USB storage device ive been searching google for ways to access the USB storage device from any computer, i made the drive shared, it is visible but when i try accessing it it says not enough server storage... any ideas how I can resolve this problem? also does anyone know of a way i can backup all the computers automaticaly? so the users dont have to do this. Because there unreliable and often dont back up. sorry if this has annoyed anyone or if its inapropriate i just want to sort something out before my boss gets back, if youve got this far thanks for your time.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
FTP server pointing to the USB drive? (I'm assuming you're not using something mundane like WindowsXP in a networked corporate environment)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok XP it is then :p You can still use a FTP server (and you can get them free too, albeit with limited functionality -- but all the functionality to perform basic network-backups). The FTP server i use can be found at http://www.serv-u.com/customer/record.asp?prod=su ... the most important limitation of the free version is that only one person can access the FTP at any given time but since you are going to be the one doing the backups it wont matter much.

Another option which is more effective but not free would be to make use of somethign like Norton Ghost which allows for networked based backups and restorations :)