network boot

daygowop

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone can explain to me how to network boot a laptop. I have a desktop that has XP iso image on there and im wondering how do i push that image out to the laptop? i kno that I have to change boot order in the BIOS settings to network boot, but what else do i hav to do?

heyman421

banned
mount the image as a virtual disk, and assign it a network drive letter

then when you choose to boot from the network, select that drive, and it should auto load, just like the actual cd-rom would have

kof2000

you can set up a PXE install server :) i used it to install 4 os at the same time much better than loading from a dvd.

daygowop

mount the image as a virtual disk, and assign it a network drive letter

then when you choose to boot from the network, select that drive, and it should auto load, just like the actual cd-rom would have

ok... but here is the problem, i can not log-on to the laptop itself. it is locked and my friend does not know the password. any other ideas?

tlarkin

VIP Member
You have to have a server app that will broad cast a connection for your PXE request. There are things like Ghost Deployment server (super expensive) which will allow multi and uni casting over a network. Then there are free solutions like DRBL from http://drbl.sourceforge.net which I have used and set up.

See PXE booting is simply the client machine broadcasting for an IP. The server side will see this broadcast and give it an IP, meaning that you will have to have some sort of DHCP server up and running.

daygowop

You have to have a server app that will broad cast a connection for your PXE request. There are things like Ghost Deployment server (super expensive) which will allow multi and uni casting over a network. Then there are free solutions like DRBL from http://drbl.sourceforge.net which I have used and set up.

See PXE booting is simply the client machine broadcasting for an IP. The server side will see this broadcast and give it an IP, meaning that you will have to have some sort of DHCP server up and running.

DRBL is for Linux, I hav windows XP... do you, or anyone else, know of any other free solutions?????

tlarkin

VIP Member
DRBL is for Linux, I hav windows XP... do you, or anyone else, know of any other free solutions?????

there are no free windows solutions that I know of, so if you want free you'll pretty much need a linux box to run it

and just so you know, you can image windows boxes with drbl, it can use ntfs clone and clonezilla to image windows machines, and it is all done over a network via pxe booting

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
also there may be another method to accomplish what you want. You could use a PE disk (preinstall environment) and boot off of it giving you network support.