"Network Cable Unplugged"

user87

I have two network adapters (realtek and smc ez) in my desktop computer, and I noticed I also have two "local area connection"s (not sure if there were two before because i recently got a router). The local area connection that uses the realtek network adapter has always got an 'x' next to it and it says "network cable unplugged." Sometimes I can't get on the internet (even though the lights on my DSL modem and router are perfect and show sign of Internet connectivity. I was wondering if the "network cable unplugged" has anything to do with my sometimes loss of internet. ? :(

computerhakk

VIP Member
that should jus be your network card.. where you plug the network cable if u were to connect to another computer.. it shouldn't matter that it says tha cuz u dont have a cable in it..however on mines.. if i plug a cable in for networking with my other computer.. it wont let me access the internet.. so yea

celsdogg

it makes sense that you would see both, since u have two nics. so most likely, the other nic is where your dsl is plugged in and it says connected, right?

user87

i have the wireless thing, so no connecting cables. when i click on the nic troubleshooting, it says no problems detected. or, could it be that because i'm connected wirelessly, there's an 'x' under LAN? also, i discovered something new in "my network places," anyone care to say what "residential gateway" is? when i click on it, a browser opens and something pops up where i need to type in the username and password. seems like i'm trying to connect to something because the title of it is "connecting to [ip address]."

Trizoy

VIP Member
Right click on the lan device your not using and click diasble.. then no more annoying message saying not plugged in.. And the connecting to ip addrss does it start or look like any of these?
168.xx.xx.xx
All local ip's