Network Cloning

Bigjake52

Hey guys,
I got about 28 computers in my lab, there comes a time when I need to reinstall the systems, but I am a more of a lazy kind of person, I need a way to restore the systems with the drivers from a network, or a cd.
The systems have a netboot card in them (intell something)
The system os is windows 2000, but I'd like to also to be able to restore windows 98 to them quick, if need be.

So how can I do something like this? I dont mind if I have to use a floppy disk to get it started,

Bigjake52

I've seen that video but the program he is talking about is no longer to be found, I've found a coppy of norton ghost 8 corp, but can't get it to work how I want it to, also if you could give me a working link for the program he suggested, as well as a bartpe alternative for partitioning, as well as boot and nuke, i'd be happy

Last edited:

paulcheung

I've seen that video but the program he is talking about is no longer to be found, I've found a coppy of norton ghost 8 corp, but can't get it to work how I want it to, also if you could give me a working link for the program he suggested, as well as a bartpe alternative for partitioning, as well as boot and nuke, i'd be happy

Check this link to see if can help you.
Good luck

http://www.spotmau.com/products/package/full.htm?SSAID=372414

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have used DRBL in the past, and it works. However, there is a slight learning curve.

http://drbl.sourceforge.net/

It is free and open source. If you want an easy solution and have the ability to spend money you might as well go for something like Norton Ghost Enterprise edition.

Bigjake52

@Paulcheung, That site looks like one of them fake sites, I'd never trust them with my money.

I am looking in to DRBL, but I'm not much of a linux player,
I found a completed coppy of bart pe, with ghost, But I am looking to add on a disk partitioner aswell as boot and nuke or some sort of app like that, Any one know any good ones for geting that done?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, barts PE is free, but you still need a site license of Windows, Ghost is not free either. If you want to use an enterprise product you are going to have to pay for licensing.

The best free solution I have ever used is DRBL and clonezilla, for PXE booting and imaging Windows clients. Emphasis on free, as it was not the overall best I have ever used. Granted with the price tag of free it can go a long way.

Bigjake52

well I do know this, I know I have to pay for all of this but when I run a computer lab, its kind of hard to fund this, you know I'm not going to learn linux just to do one thing/

but is there a free disk partitioner for bart pe? aswell as a Disk wiper? (Like boot&nuke?)

tlarkin

VIP Member
well I do know this, I know I have to pay for all of this but when I run a computer lab, its kind of hard to fund this, you know I'm not going to learn linux just to do one thing/

but is there a free disk partitioner for bart pe? aswell as a Disk wiper? (Like boot&nuke?)

As a person in the field, trust me, you get what you pay for. If you want it to be free DRBL is a powerful and free tool.

Bigjake52

Well I can see you are in the feild but, I rahter use something thats not as compex, I seen some guids for it and I'm confused

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well I can see you are in the feild but, I rahter use something thats not as compex, I seen some guids for it and I'm confused

I felt the same way when I first tried DRBL, but the community is great and they helped me along the way. Like I said, there is a learning curve and you have to be willing to learn it. I was imaging several different PCs with a standard WinXP image at my last job with DRBL.

It is small scale and perfect for small lab environments and it doesn't cost your company a dime in software licenses.

If you want Norton Ghost you gotta pay for it, and while I think Ghost is an awesome product I know some enterprises cannot afford the license cost.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have my ways of not paying for expencive porgrams, trust, me, I'm not going to say tho as I might get baned

Well you are putting your organization at risk when you do that. You may have to actually learn something if you cannot afford to buy proper software.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Wow its not an origination, and its not ilegal where I live, as I dont live in the us

Doesn't matter, remember the pirate bay case? I am not going to argue with you, but you should pay for the products you use. Software developers need to pay their bills.

Bigjake52

Yea norton, a very big company, its the same thing with the music indstury, and I'm not installing any thing the systems, just useing a porgam to clone, Also why is the bay around still then ?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yea norton, a very big company, its the same thing with the music indstury, and I'm not installing any thing the systems, just useing a porgam to clone, Also why is the bay around still then ?

who said you have to buy ghost? buy their competitor if you don't like them, but they don't spend all that money making their product to give it away for free. It is not comparable to the music industry as many software developers get paid good salaries and even get bonus pay based on sales. The fact of the matter is, if that was your company making and selling a software product you would not want others stealing it.

bkribbs

I would give my porgrams out for free, If I made music and videos I'd give it out for free, sharing is careing

Not to start an arguement, but... if you gave them away, you would have no income. Which means you can't pay rent/mortage. Which means you are evicted. Which means you are homeless.