Network config problems for new router

uksaint

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a new adsl router (D-LInk DSL-G604T) with my laptop. I've connected to the router with an ethernet cable in order to set things up (it also does wireless - which I will use with other computers). The problem is that when I enter the router IP address in IE in order to access the routers configuration it just comes up with not available, it also asks to connect to the internet which I cannot do as I'm using the same one ethernet connection that I normally use to connect to my other computer for internet access. So you can probably gather from that that their is already a LAN connection already set up on my laptop that I use to connect to my main PC. I tried pinging the router and it timed out with no connection although the router is registering the connected ethernet cable. All of the router functions are working as they should i.e. connections etc. I also looked at the IP config (sorry - I use XP) and this appears to show different IP settings to those needed for the router, presumably because they have been auto configured for my current network.
So the question is do I need to set up a new network for the router - the manual doesn't say anything about this but it does say a lot about the IP config etc. Or, do I need to completely rid the laptop of the old LAN settings. Or, do I just need to reset the IP configs - if so how do you do it?
I'd be grateful for anyone with any ideas.

Thanks

uksaint

I have not got a CD with it, There is no mention of any CD in the installation guide, although one is mentioned on the packing slip although it says it is only meant to hold the manual so I wasn't that bothered. I suppose I could download them - but at what stage do you install the stuff - as I said there is no mention of a CD in the installation guide?

computerdude2004

First of all, why do you have an ADSL router for a internet connection over an RJ-45 ethernet cable? You should get a DSL/Cable Modem router if you have an internet connection that comes from the modem to the router on a ethernet cable. Next, you hook the internet ethernet line up to the WAP port. It is off to the side. You connect your one ethernet cable to one of the ports on the routers switch. The other end of that cable into your computers ethernet port. Turn on your laptop and go into Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connection -> Network Connection -> and then you click Set up a Home or Small Office Network on the left panel of Control Panel. There you choose which port our connetion is on and then choose to connect to the internet through a hub, the hub will be your router. It willl then give you a security warning saying this is the most unsafe way to create a network. Choose Next. It will ask you about printers and files you wish to share, and the it will tell you that you have created your home network. Somewhere along the line it will ask you for a computer name, location, and Workgroup. Make sure no computer on the network has the same name or location and make sure every computer is on the same workgroup. You should then go into IE and type in the address of your router and then the username is Admin, I believe, and I am not sure about your password. You can find that in your manual. You can change these items after you get onto that page.

The IP address you type into IE is 192.168.1.1

Here is the webpage for your router at D-Link - http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=372

Documentation - http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUC7wcU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLPG3yV3oVo57kP98f8p8Nqtyr2xuRXbrwDACr85YWNvr37LlJkwVse3fb4c=

Last edited: