Network extender

psaila

I have a wifi router than in another place in my house I have an extender. If I am near the extender connected to the main router and I perform a speedtest I get very high speed however if from the same place I comnect to the extender (standing near it) I get very low speeds. What might be the problem please?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Because you always lose bandwidth/speed when using extender. Also depends on model of extender.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Those extenders are just repeating the signal. So what you have is the router sends a signal to the extender, then send a signal to you. Then you send a signal back to the extender, and the extender sends that signal to the router. You basically lose atleast half the speed just from that. Factor in interference and latency between you and the extender, and the extender to the router and voila! You have your slow speedtest.

Versus.

You sending a signal to the router directly and the router sends a signal to you.

Geoff

VIP Member
What everyone else has said is true. What model wireless router and extender do you have?