Network hub

sport98

Is it possible to insert a hub in between a cable modem and a router? I ask because I have a voip device that does not like my router and I keep loosing the dial tone. I'd like to connect the modem to the hub as well as the router and the voip device. Everything else would stay connected to the router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have to have a router in place before the voip device. What voip device do you have? You may have it setup wrong.

sport98

I have a Net Talk Duo and a D-Link DIR655. I spent a good deal of time on line with Net Talk and made a bunch of setting changes to the DLink but they said that they have had some trouble with the DIR655 specifically. Other D-Link routers seem to work OK. In order to check the Net Talk device they suggested that I connect it directly to my cable modem for 24 hours which meant that my network would have been disconnected and I can't do that so I thought about the hub idea. I thought I might be able to share the IP address to the 2 devices in front of the router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure that scenario will work as I think you will run into ip conflicts. You can try and see, however, get a switch not a hub. Or get a different router.

sport98

A different router was Net Talks suggestion as well but I have network access enabled and a bunch of devices connected so, while not impossible, it would be a lot of detail work to change out a router that is otherwise working fine. As to the switch, I was looking at a Rosewill RC-415 (I guess I was mistakenly calling it a hub). Would that be a good choice?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would still think about getting a different router, like I said I think you will run into Ip conflicts if you get the switch. And resetting up all your devices are usually easier just by allowing it to automatically detect settings. You can assign your new router the same internal ip as the old one and then there should be nothing to worry about.

I would highly recommend this router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

I have a vonage device and a switch hooked up after this router with no issues.

sport98

Thanks for the suggestion. I do like Linksys stuff, I have one of their wireless internet cams. I would prefer an N router though. I'll look around and thanks for the helpful discussion!

sport98

One more thought about the router idea - how about adding a wired 1 gig router connected to the cable modem and connecting my Net Talk Duo and my existing wireless D-Link to it? That would allow me to avoid having to add all of the MAC addresses for the exisiting equipment to a new wireless router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would still have to configure the second router to disable dhcp and most likely a different ip address.