network installation of xp

KillermilleR

hello everyone........my compaq laptop cd rom drive isn't working and i wanna reinstall windows xp on it. My dell pc is working fine, how can i do an network installation of xp on my laptop...thankx in advance

Jas420221

KillermilleR said:
hello everyone........my compaq laptop cd rom drive isn't working and i wanna reinstall windows xp on it. My dell pc is working fine, how can i do an network installation of xp on my laptop...thankx in advance
Network the PC's (through a router) Make your CD drive on the functional computer Shared (just like a folder on a network) and go from there!!!

Or just swap the working CD out of the dell to install into the other. CD-ROMs are like $10 for 52X.

KillermilleR

thanlz for the advice Jas420221 dude, but I'm using a laptop and the cd rom from the dell cannot fit into the laptop multibay. Plus where i'm from those cd rom drives are hard to find and pretty expensive, I'm from trinidad. Also i don't have a router, but the both computers have nic cards and i normally use a crossover cable to network them. Any suggestions again from anybody.!?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Network the PC's (through a router) Make your CD drive on the functional computer Shared (just like a folder on a network) and go from there!!!
Details would have been nice :p

Or just swap the working CD out of the dell to install into the other. CD-ROMs are like $10 for 52X.
But desktop opticals and laptop opticals are different animals

KillermilleR
Have your laptop boot off the network device ... i dunno the specifics of how to do that but thats a start :)