network/internet trouble

Hi, I'm having a bit of difficulty at the moment, I would appreciate it if anybody could help. I'm not sure if this is a network problem, but I don't know where else to post.

I connected to a network in a shared house recently. The other two people are using windows xp and I was using windows 98.
after connecting there were no problems with the internet, but I could very rarely read any of the other computers. I expect that there are some compatibility issues.
I am using a very old network card perhaps this was a problem.

Anway I managed to completely lose the internet immediately after I did a check for some virus' and removed 4 trojan diallers, the program was unable to clean them so I deleted them. one of the files was called mysysinfo.exe under java in windows, the others were temporary internet files. they didn't seem important though so I don't know if it was a coincedence.... seems prety unlikely....

I had a windows xp disc and installed that, in the hopes that the intenet would sort itself out. I was able to identify the other computers properly after I installed xp, but not access any shared files or vice versa.

The internet was working fine initially, so I think the problem with the network is because the card is 10 years old, but im not sure what happened to the internet.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

No I haven't got a firewall.
Oh I almost forgot every now and again when I start my computer up, windows is unable to detect my mouse, but I can put another one in and swap it back and it's fine again. This also staryed recently too.

Eiremax

Three things to consider Im guessing the Third Is what you need

1.Are your IP Adresses Setup up correctly Like below for example.

e.g

Computer 1 192.168.1.1
Computer 2 192.168.1.2
Computer 3 192.168.1.3

2.Are you all under the same Workgroup XP uses MSHOME (Right click on my computer to find out)

3.Have you allocated any shares (That is.. You right clicked and shared the folder with the correct permissions to everyone)

4.As for the mouse Go to Control Panel - System - Click on the Hardware Tab
Then go into the Device manager check if there is any yellow icons with Exclammation (!) marks on them. Check on device drivers are installed

Last edited:

stratford

mouse

is the mouse connected into the pc or a hub if its in a hub it will not detect until the usb is detected so when you boot it will say mouse not detected as most do if it is connected via a hub.

packard bell
pentium 111 600mhz
256 ram
hercules 4000GT graphic
cd-rom/cdrw 4*4*32
intel 82801AA ac97 audio controller
mr2800 data/fax modem
20gig

advent7038 laptop
athlon 2500+
512 ram
ATI radeon 320m