Network Performance

Crypto

Why is system 2 loading images faster than system 1 (system details below) ? When accessing images across a network, Why would a slower system with a slower network connection (10/100), load images in software faster than a more powerful system with a much faster network connection (10/100/1000)?

some background:
The main reason I upgraded a some time ago to a Gigabit Network was to allow me to load my Pictures for processing anywhere in the house quickly. The way I do this is open the software (Canon Digital Photo Pro) that came with my camera to simply navigate to the mapped networked drive hosting the images and wait for them to load.

On system 3, of course these load almost instantly into the software (drive is directly connected). System 2 (across the network), which is a pretty slow system with 100mbps connection loads them really well. System 1 (my fastest system), sucks. I literally sit there and watch each thumbnail load every 1 1/2 seconds or longer.

I've tried to figure out what may be limiting System 1, but I can't figure it out. When I use the Integrated 10/100 NIC, it loads them exactly the same, No difference, between it and the Gigabit connection. At first guess, I would think its a limitation on the software accessing images on a network, but system 2 loads them great speeds with the smae software.

Overall network tests using network speed software are up to par. I know these can't really compare to real life, but they do give you a baseline. I can transfer actual files with all systems with acceptable speeds.

Here is the system details:

XP Home on ALL systems

System1:
Dell 9400 Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo T7400
2GB Ram
7200 rpm HDD
Gigabit Express Card

System2:
Dell 2650 Laptop
Intell 1.7 P4
512 MB Ram
5400 RPM HDD
100Mb Integrated NIC

System 3 (Hosting PC)
Dell 2400 Desktop
Intel P4 2.8
1GB ram
Gigabit PCI NIC
(Networked Drive containing images)
10K RPM eSata external drive connected via PCI SATA Card

Network
Linksys Gigabit
Cat6 wire

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this as I have no idea what's happening. I hope I've provided enough info for you guys.

Here is a link to a quick diagram I created that might help understand my configuration:

Here is a diagram of what I have:
http://www.groovydos.com/Tom/My Network.pdf

Here are a couple snaps of Network Performance using system 1:
I think this tells me that when using the software both network cards are slow, infact the very same speed. Neither of which is close to what its capable of. So if there is no difference in the network cards, then what the hell can it be. The laptop configuration?

This one is using the software to access the images. The top is with the gigabit and bottom is with 10/100
original.jpg

This one is with my network speed tool accessing a 350MB file on the same networked drive. When using my network tool, Both network cards perform well.
original.jpg

Last edited:

Quentin_T

Well, there goes my question... Was hoping someone answered this because it would answer my question. :)

Ok, so I have a few idea's, some you may have even tried.

Step 1, running a traceroute from your #3 to the Main Office computer, and see where it sends you/your delays.

Step 2, replacing cables, and or Switches. Maybe even pull a switch out of the equation. i.e. unplug the garage PC and plug #3 in it's spot, see if that does anything.

Step 3, are you running DHCP? or do you have static IP's on the PC's?

This may help, it may not, but someone needed to respond!

Network hangups can be a PITA to discover, and I see no reason for you to be getting such a low throughput.

My question was the real throughput of Gigabit Ethernet... :D

Keep us up to date on any progress. Or lack of.